Piezoelectric and air pressure

In summary, the conversation was about the potential effects of a piezoelectric crystal placed on a closed circuit in a pressurized vessel. The participants discussed the possibility of air pressure causing a voltage in the piezoelectric device, and suggested that this is how pressure transducers typically work. However, more information was requested in order to provide a more thorough explanation.
Adamant
I was just wondering if anyone could explain to me what would happen to a piezoelectric crystal on a closed circuit in a pressurised vessel?

Physics news on Phys.org
Adamant said:
I was just wondering if anyone could explain to me what would happen to a piezoelectric crystal on a closed circuit in a pressurised vessel?
Near as I can tell, nothing at all. Can you provide more detail about what you are trying to do and what you think is happening? What kind of circuit? What kind of piezoelectric device?

I think he wants to know if only mechanical stress can cause a piezoelectric voltage, or if air pressure can do it also.

If air pressure causes an internal stress, then it can certainly cause a voltage. This is how many pressure transducers work.

Likes davenn and russ_watters
Locking per PM request to reboot the thread with better detail.

1. What is piezoelectricity and how does it relate to air pressure?

Piezoelectricity is the ability of certain materials to generate an electric charge when subjected to mechanical stress, such as pressure or vibration. Air pressure, or the force exerted by the weight of air in the atmosphere, can create mechanical stress on these materials and cause them to produce an electric charge.

2. How is piezoelectricity used in everyday life?

Piezoelectric materials are used in a variety of everyday devices, such as lighters, microphones, and ultrasound machines. They are also used in sensors for measuring things like air pressure, acceleration, and strain.

3. Can piezoelectricity be harnessed for sustainable energy?

Yes, piezoelectric materials can be used to convert mechanical energy, such as the vibrations from walking or traffic, into electrical energy. This can be used as a sustainable source of power for small devices or even entire buildings.

4. Are there any potential health risks associated with piezoelectricity?

There is currently no evidence to suggest that piezoelectric materials pose any health risks. However, some studies have shown that prolonged exposure to high levels of piezoelectric energy, such as from large machines, may cause discomfort or even damage to the body.

5. How does air pressure affect the performance of piezoelectric materials?

The performance of piezoelectric materials can be affected by changes in air pressure. Changes in atmospheric pressure can cause the materials to expand or contract, which can impact their ability to generate an electric charge. Additionally, extreme changes in air pressure can cause damage to the materials. Therefore, it is important to consider air pressure when designing and using piezoelectric devices.