Piezoelectricity and nano-materials

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of nanomaterials with piezoelectric properties and their potential for harvesting energy from surface waves. The topic is prompted by a recent article on piezoelectric vibration "harvesters" and the question of why this technology has not been further miniaturized. The speaker mentions Polyvinylidene Fluoride (PVDF) as a viable material for this purpose, but states that more information is needed before it can be effectively used.
Isaacsname
My apologies in advance for ignorant questions.

Are there any nanomaterials that exhibit piezoelectric properties ? Can they be engineered to take energy from surface waves at interfacial boundries ? I only ask after seeing the recent article on piezielectric vibration " harvesters " on the Physorg fron page lead me to wonder why this technology has not been shrunk further ? Or is it such a small amount of energy in most cases it's overlooked ?

Is there still plenty of room at the bottom ?

Engineering news on Phys.org
yes there are. i do not know of all of them but the one i know best is Polyvinylidene Fluoride (PVDF). I have been experimenting with the stuff for quite a while but need some more info before i get the stuff to work. but from what i have read, it produces the biggest dielectric properties of almost all the other types of piezoelectric materials.

1. What is piezoelectricity?

Piezoelectricity is the ability of certain materials to generate electricity when subjected to mechanical stress, such as pressure or vibration. This phenomenon was first discovered in the 18th century by French physicist Pierre Curie.

2. How are piezoelectric materials used in everyday life?

Piezoelectric materials are used in a variety of everyday devices, such as quartz watches, ultrasound machines, and even gas lighters. They are also used in sensors and actuators for industrial and medical applications.

3. What are nano-materials?

Nano-materials are materials that have at least one dimension in the nanometer scale, typically between 1 to 100 nanometers. These materials have unique properties due to their small size and can be used in various fields such as electronics, medicine, and energy.

4. How are nano-materials related to piezoelectricity?

Nano-materials can exhibit enhanced piezoelectric properties due to their small size and unique crystal structures. This makes them ideal for applications that require precise and sensitive control of mechanical energy, such as in sensors and energy harvesting devices.

5. What are the potential applications of piezoelectric nano-materials?

The potential applications of piezoelectric nano-materials are vast and constantly expanding. Some examples include self-powered sensors, energy harvesting in wearable devices, and even nanogenerators that can produce electricity from everyday movements. These materials also have potential applications in the fields of biomedicine, robotics, and environmental monitoring.