Pion decaying to two neutrons demonstrates odd parity

In summary, the conversation discusses the reference for an experiment involving the decay of a pion into two neutrons. The reference mentions that the final states of the two neutrons are restricted by the requirement of F-D statistics, and only certain states are allowed. The conversation also clarifies that the reaction involves a pion hitting a deuteron, not a pion decaying into two neutrons. Finally, there is a discussion about the spectroscopic notation and how it relates to the antisymmetry of the final states.
Gene Naden
Does anyone have a reference to a good explanation of this experiment. I am looking at https://quantummechanics.ucsd.edu/ph130a/130_notes/node323.html

I am unable to comprehend the reasoning by which it determines the parity of the two neutrons in the final state. Particularly when it says the requirement of F-D statistics restricts the spin and angular momentum of the final state.

Physics news on Phys.org
That is not a pion decaying to two neutrons. It is the reaction of a pion hitting a deuteron.

Yes, I gave the wrong reaction. Thank you for correcting me.

The reference says the allowed two-neutron final states are, because they are identical fermions,
1s0
3p0,1,2
1d2
3f2,3,4

I looked up the spectroscopic notation. It says 1s0 is a singlet state, L=1, with J=0. So how can it be antisymmetric?

It does not react to 1s0. Only 3p1 is possible, as explained in the website you linked.

1. What is a pion and how does it decay?

A pion is a subatomic particle made up of two quarks, typically either an up and an anti-down quark or a down and an anti-up quark. Pions decay through the strong nuclear force into other subatomic particles, such as two neutrons.

2. What is odd parity in particle physics?

Parity is a concept in particle physics that describes the behavior of a subatomic particle under the transformation of inversion, which is essentially flipping the particle's position and momentum coordinates. Odd parity means that the particle's wave function changes sign under this transformation.

3. Why is the decay of a pion into two neutrons significant?

The decay of a pion into two neutrons demonstrates odd parity, which is an important concept in particle physics. It also provides evidence for the existence of the strong nuclear force, which is responsible for holding the nucleus of an atom together.

4. Is the decay of a pion into two neutrons a common occurrence?

No, the decay of a pion into two neutrons is not a common occurrence. Pions are unstable particles and their decay into other particles, including two neutrons, is a rare event that can only be observed in certain experimental conditions.

5. How does the decay of a pion into two neutrons relate to the conservation of energy and momentum?

The decay of a pion into two neutrons demonstrates the conservation of energy and momentum, as the total energy and momentum of the two neutrons produced is equal to that of the original pion. This is due to the laws of conservation of energy and momentum, which state that these properties cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed.