Pioneer Anomaly Solved - Reflective Thermal Model

In summary: Overall, the results show that an extra-PA acceleration directed towards the Sun would have a negligible impact on the Neptunian satellites' orbital dynamics, and that the absence of a secular effect on the semimajor axis is not due to the presence of a secular effect on the three orbit components.In summary, the article discusses how the anomalous acceleration of Pioneer probes could be explained and found to be not caused by the gravitational force. The article also suggests that the lack of a secular effect on the semimajor axis is not caused by the presence of a secular effect
kmarinas86 said:
It does not make it 0% likely, or even "much" less likely, just less likely.
Right. Just as it is not 0% likely that 9/11 was a conspiracy. There will always be people that are never satisfied. The fact that there's no mystery to it does not stop some people from hunting for ghosts.

Again, it's not like we had two equally plausible explanations 1] heat radiation and 2] a misunderstanding in the fundamental constants of the universe - and we just settled on 1] because it was easier.

We knew it was 1], but (being scientific) we couldn't let it go until we had explained it all.

What you're suggesting is that there are two distinct and unrelated causes of the same anomaly. How likely is that??

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited:
atyy said:
Great story at 15:45

Viktor Toth, The Pioneer Anomaly: Known and Unknown Unknowns
http://pirsa.org/11050016/

That's a great talk. I thought the most relevant point was during the questions at the end, where someone asked how much better a special-purpose follow-up mission could do. Toth's answer was basically that you can't do any better within our lifetimes, because the limiting factor is insufficient knowledge of features of the solar system, such as the solar wind.

bcrowell said:
That's a great talk. I thought the most relevant point was during the questions at the end, where someone asked how much better a special-purpose follow-up mission could do. Toth's answer was basically that you can't do any better within our lifetimes, because the limiting factor is insufficient knowledge of features of the solar system, such as the solar wind.

Then that justifies not having a dedicated mission to measure the anomaly for maybe 10 to 30 years. By that time, I expect that there is no reason why the temperature anomaly of the solar corona and the flyby anomaly wouldn't have been figured out. In my opinion, they will, and these would help make feasible a future mission in the 2030's or so to test the Pioneer anomaly.