Pipe Flow Software: Calculate Flow Rate, Pressure Drop, Flow Rate & Temp Change

In summary, the conversation revolved around the search for software to calculate flow rate, pressure drop, and temperature change in facility piping. Recommendations were made for software such as "pipe-flo", "Flowmaster", and "AFT FATHOM". The importance of considering non-Newtonian fluids and the use of rheological models was also discussed. The conversation ended with suggestions for using Excel or programs like "maroflow" and "pipe flow expert" for these calculations.
arca0020
I am looking for software to calculate flow rate, pressure drop, flow rate and temperature change in facility piping. Any suggestions?

Engineering news on Phys.org
There is a piece of software called "pipe-flo"! My company used it and it is good...but expensive.

arca0020 said:
I am looking for software to calculate flow rate, pressure drop, flow rate and temperature change in facility piping. Any suggestions?

If you can assume Newtonian fluid flow behaviour then the calculations are fairly straight forward and well defined int he literature for a standard circular pipe - for any value of Reynolds Number (Re)

The problem becomes complex for Non-Newtonian fluids, settling suspensions, time dependent fluids, shear thinning and shear thickening fluids etc.

For these complex flow behaviours, the rheological characterisation of the fluid flowing in the pipe is critically important.

If you can model the rheological propeties or assume a rheological model - say a power law fluid, Bingham plastic, Herschel Bulkley fluid etc then you can predict the proessure drop at a given velocity.

You mentioned temperature changes in facility piping - what do you mean by that precisely? Do you mean heat exchange networks? or just heat losses in pipes?

I agree the calculations for Newtonian fluids are straight forward, but with all the piping we assemble the calculations can become time consuming. We are mostly concerned with heat loss in pipes.

arca0020 said:

Actually, I am just learning to use a new software called "Flowmaster" that does exactly what you mention.

If you have time next week, I just signed up for a webinar they are hosting on cooling system piping:

"Simulating Cooling Systems for Efficient Design"
This educational session will discuss the use of system-level simulation on liquid cooling systems to address key design considerations and common challenges in power generation, plant and process industries.
https://flowmaster.webex.com/flowmaster/k2/j.php?ED=151528172&UID=1205085592&RT=MiM3&FM=1

Or you can just find them online: www.flowmaster.com

No matter what tool you choose, best of luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
arca0020 said:
I agree the calculations for Newtonian fluids are straight forward, but with all the piping we assemble the calculations can become time consuming. We are mostly concerned with heat loss in pipes.
Heat loss is mostly a function of insulation (or lack thereof), not the fluid dynamics of the flow.

My company has a propriety 1D solver, but another group uses something called Flowmaster which from what I understand does the same thing, but allows for more fluid material control.

I have only personally used the in-house code but have heard decent things about the latter.

If you are an Excel user, I'd suggest you read the article I wrote for the ASHRAE Journal in Aug 2009. Google "Using Excel for Duct Calculations". That article covers ducted air but I've created spreadsheets for steam, compressed air, water, etc. All are basically constructed the same way.

AFT FATHOM is another code you can buy, similar to Pipe-Flo mentioned above.

maroflow is another option for you, which similar with Flowmaster but easy to use.

I have a software called : pipe flow expert , and it is very usefull
check the attached picture.

Attachments

• pipe.jpg
    pipe.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 525

1. What is pipe flow software?

Pipe flow software is a computer program designed to calculate the flow rate, pressure drop, and temperature change of a fluid through a pipe system. It uses mathematical equations and algorithms to simulate and analyze the behavior of fluids in pipes.

2. How does pipe flow software work?

Pipe flow software uses input data such as pipe dimensions, fluid properties, and operating conditions to solve complex equations and determine the flow rate, pressure drop, and temperature change in a pipe system. It may also have features such as graphical user interfaces and customizable options for easier use and interpretation of results.

3. What are the benefits of using pipe flow software?

Pipe flow software allows for more efficient and accurate analysis of pipe systems compared to manual calculations. It also saves time and effort in designing and troubleshooting pipe systems, and can provide valuable insights for optimizing performance and reducing costs.

4. Is pipe flow software suitable for all types of pipes and fluids?

Pipe flow software can be used for a wide range of pipe materials and sizes, as well as various types of fluids such as liquids, gases, and mixtures. However, it is important to ensure that the software is appropriate for the specific application and that the input data is accurate for reliable results.

5. Are there any limitations or considerations when using pipe flow software?

While pipe flow software can be a useful tool, it is important to understand its limitations and potential sources of error. These may include assumptions made in the software, inaccuracies in input data, and variations from real-world conditions. It is also important to regularly update and validate the software to ensure its accuracy.