Pipeline structural Support loading case from riser pipeline.

In summary, a person is seeking advice on how to design a structural pipeline support at a 60 degree angle, connected to a riser pipeline and experiencing transferred loads. They have created a free body diagram and are unsure about the loads the support will carry, whether it will be perpendicular or also include axial forces. Another person suggests considering the reaction due to Fy, weight of the pipe and fluid, and axial forces due to bends and connections.
Jonathanjc
Hi all,

I am trying to designing a structural pipeline support. The pipeline is at a 60 degree angle and is connected to a riser pipeline - I have the transferred loads that the pipeline will experience from the riser and have created an FBD.

I initially thought the load that the support would carry would be perpendicular to the pipeline Fb (see diagram) but I also think there would be Fa to consider also. I am also under the assumption that the moment would not add to the supported load.

Can anyone offer advice about the best way in finding the loads that the support will have to carry. As I am unsure whether I am on the right track.

Thanks in advance
J

Attachments

• PipeDrawing1.png
    PipeDrawing1.png
    7.7 KB · Views: 493
Engineering news on Phys.org
edit: Yes. You have to consider the reaction due to your Fy. The weight of the pipe and fluid due to gravity, and also the axial forces due to bends, connections, etc.

Likes 1 person
thanks!

1. What is a pipeline structural support loading case?

A pipeline structural support loading case is a scenario in which the structural support of a pipeline is subjected to external forces, such as weight, pressure, or impact. It is important to consider these loading cases during the design and construction of a pipeline to ensure its safety and stability.

2. Why is it important to consider loading cases for pipeline structural support?

Considering loading cases is crucial for the safety and stability of a pipeline. Different loading conditions, such as varying temperatures, pressure, and external forces, can affect the structural integrity of a pipeline. By considering these cases during the design phase, engineers can ensure that the pipeline can withstand all potential loading scenarios and prevent any structural failures.

3. How are loading cases determined for pipeline structural support?

Loading cases for pipeline structural support are determined through a thorough analysis of the pipeline's design, materials, and potential external factors. This analysis is typically carried out using specialized software and considering industry standards and regulations.

4. What are some common loading cases for pipeline structural support?

Some common loading cases for pipeline structural support include weight of the pipeline, internal and external pressure, thermal expansion and contraction, seismic activity, and soil movement. Other factors, such as corrosion and external impact, should also be considered.

5. How can engineers ensure that the pipeline can withstand loading cases?

Engineers can ensure that the pipeline can withstand loading cases by conducting thorough analyses and simulations during the design phase. This allows them to identify potential weak points and make necessary adjustments to the design to enhance the pipeline's strength and stability. Regular maintenance and inspections are also crucial to detecting any potential issues and addressing them before they become a problem.