Planar geometry, orthognal projections of a piece of a plane

In summary, the problem is to reconstruct a finite plane given only two orthogonal projections onto the xy and xz planes. The equation for a plane, f=ax+by+cz, is known, as well as the gradient and angle between vectors. The normal to the plane is <a,b,c>, and the projections onto the xy and xz planes are <x(t),y(t),0> and <x(t),0,z(t)> respectively. The boundary of the finite plane can be parameterized using one parameter t as (x(t),y(t),z(t)), and there are multiple equations that can be used to solve for the parameters a, b, and c. However, for this problem, two parameters are required.
natsu igneel

Homework Statement

I have a piece of a plane in 3 dimensions (imagine holding an enevelope in the air), and two orthognal projections which form quadrilaterals, one on the xy plane (i.e. looking at the enevelope from above) and one on the xz plane (looking at it from the side). We know the equation for a plane is f=ax+by+cz, and I need to reconstruct this equation given only the two projections. So in essence the problem statement is this:

Given only two orthognal projections of a finite plane, recreate that plane.

Homework Equations

The gradient, angle between vectors etc.

The Attempt at a Solution

The normal, n, to the plane f will be <a,b,c> and the normal to the xy and xz planes will be k <0,0,1> and j <0,1,0> respectively.

The angle between n and k is
cos(theta) = n *dot* k / |n| |k|

which works out to be c/sqrt(a^2 + b^2 + c^2)

The same can be done with the angle between j and k, alpha, except the numerator is b instead of c.

So that's the information I've worked out. I also know a 3D surface needs to be paramaterised with two paramaters, I've called them s and t. Since the cross product of two vectors gives the normal I also know that
∂R/∂s *cross* ∂R/∂t = n = <a,b,c>.

I'm not looking for an answer here just a pointer in the right direction. At the moment I suppose I'm trying to find expressions for a, b and c. But I don't see how to do that form what I have, let alone with only two projections not three.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming the boundary of the finite plane can be parameterized using one parameter t as (x(t),y(t),z(t)), it would have a constant projection to (a,b,c), and the projection onto xy and xz planes are easily given by (x(t),y(t),0) and (x(t),0,z(t)). Seems there are lots of equations you can come up with.

That's a good idea and for a plane one paramter like that will work, but I've specifically been told to have two paramaters, I think later on we're moving to more general surfaces so learning how to do it with two paramaters now will be helpful

1. What is planar geometry?

Planar geometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the properties and relationships of two-dimensional geometric figures on a flat surface, such as a piece of paper or a computer screen.

2. What are orthogonal projections in planar geometry?

Orthogonal projections, also known as perpendicular projections, are a method of representing a three-dimensional object on a two-dimensional plane by projecting its points onto the plane at right angles.

3. How are orthogonal projections used in real life?

Orthogonal projections are used in many fields, including architecture, engineering, and graphic design. They are often used to create technical drawings and blueprints, as well as to model and visualize three-dimensional objects in a two-dimensional space.

4. Can you explain the difference between a parallel and a perspective projection?

In a parallel projection, all lines remain parallel and the size and shape of objects do not change. In a perspective projection, lines converge at a vanishing point and the size and shape of objects appear to change as they recede into the distance.

5. How does planar geometry relate to other branches of mathematics?

Planar geometry is closely related to other branches of mathematics, such as algebra and trigonometry. It also has applications in computer science and physics, as well as in everyday activities like map reading and navigation.