Plane wave in cartesian coordinates

In summary, the Cartesian coordinates for a plane wave of amplitude 1 [V/m] and wavelength 700 nm propagating in the u = cosθx+sinθy direction, where x and y are unit vectors along the x and y-axis, are ψ{x,y,z,t} = Aei(kx+ky+kz±ωt).
nmsurobert

Homework Statement

Provide an expression in Cartesian coordinates for a plane wave of amplitude 1 [V/m] and wavelength 700 nm propagating in u = cosθx + sinθy direction, where x and y are unit vectors along the x and y-axis and θ is the measured angle from the x axis.

Homework Equations

ψ{x,y,z,t) = Aei(kx+ky+kz ± ωt)
k = 2π/λ

The Attempt at a Solution

im not finding many good examples on this but using the plug and chug method i came up with

ψ = Aei(.008(cosθ +sinθ) -ωt)

Physics news on Phys.org
Notice how there is no space variation in your wave?

The general expression you want is: $$\psi(\vec r) = Ae^{i(\vec k\cdot\vec r \pm \omega t)}$$ ... for Cartesian coordinates, ##\vec r = (x,y,z)## and ##\vec k = (k_x,k_y,k_z)##.

i don't see the difference in what i posted and what you posted. you posted the dot product of the propagation vector and the unit vector. isn't that i what i did?

nmsurobert said:
i don't see the difference in what i posted and what you posted. you posted the dot product of the propagation vector and the unit vector. isn't that i what i did?
Maybe I missed it? You wrote:
##\psi = Ae^{i(.008(\cos\theta +\sin\theta) -\omega t)}##
Where is the x-y-z dependence? If you had done the dot product, wouldn't there be one?

Please write out what you got for the wave-vector ##\vec k##

thats where my mistake is. I am not sure what my k vector should be. I am looking through the text right now trying to figure it out.

Your wave vector should have magnitude ##2\pi/\lambda## and should point in the direction of propagation.

i did that. that's the .008 in my solution. 2pi/700

0.008 is the magnitude (in nm-1) - what about the direction?

Likes nmsurobert
well if there is no z component then its headed in the x,y direction. isn't that what the initial u tells me?

should there be an x and a y in front of the cos and sin, respectively.

That's right - the direction is the same as the direction of ##\vec u## ... since ##|\vec u|=1## you can write: ##\vec k = (2\pi / \lambda )\vec u## ...
Since ##\vec u = (\cos\theta, \sin\theta, 0)## you can write: ##\vec k = \frac{2\pi}{\lambda}(\cos\theta, \sin\theta, 0)##

##\vec k\cdot\vec r = \frac{2\pi}{\lambda}(\cos\theta, \sin\theta, 0)\cdot (x,y,z) = \cdots## ... carry out the dot product.

Likes nmsurobert
ahh ok. what i did was (cosθx, sinθy) ⋅ (x,y)

so my x and y turned to 1's.

thank you!

Ah - then there was a notation mixup:
If we define x = (1,0,0) etc, then r = xx + yy + zz while u = cosθ x + sinθ y and the dot product proceeds correctly.
You may be used to using i-j-k for unit vectors but you can see why you don't want to do that here.

[If you were thinking that x = (x,0,0) then that's a different kind of mixup and r = x + y + z ]

Last edited:

1. What is a plane wave in cartesian coordinates?

A plane wave in cartesian coordinates is a type of electromagnetic wave that has a constant amplitude and phase across any plane perpendicular to its direction of propagation. It can be described mathematically as a sinusoidal function with a constant frequency, wavelength, and direction of propagation.

2. How is a plane wave different from other types of waves?

A plane wave is different from other types of waves in that it has a constant amplitude and phase across any plane perpendicular to its direction of propagation. This means that the wave does not change in shape or intensity as it travels through space, unlike other types of waves such as spherical or cylindrical waves.

3. What are the applications of plane waves in cartesian coordinates?

Plane waves in cartesian coordinates have many applications in science and technology. They are commonly used in antennas for wireless communication, in optics for understanding the behavior of light, and in acoustics for studying sound waves. They are also used in various fields of engineering, such as in the design of radar systems and microwave circuits.

4. How do you mathematically represent a plane wave in cartesian coordinates?

A plane wave in cartesian coordinates can be represented mathematically using the following equation: A cos(kx - ωt + φ), where A is the amplitude, k is the wave vector, x is the position, ω is the angular frequency, t is time, and φ is the phase. This equation describes a sinusoidal function that varies in space and time.

5. Can a plane wave in cartesian coordinates be polarized?

Yes, a plane wave in cartesian coordinates can be polarized. The polarization of a wave refers to the orientation of the electric and magnetic fields that make up the wave. In a plane wave, the electric and magnetic fields are perpendicular to each other and the direction of propagation. This means that the wave can be polarized in any direction perpendicular to its direction of propagation.