Planets in intergalactic space

In summary, a planet in intergalactic space may not be gravitationally bound to other matter due to its distance and the expansion of the universe, or its velocity relative to other matter being greater than the escape velocity, or the net gravitational acceleration being less than the acceleration of the universe.
Alltimegreat1
I've seen a number of people write about planets getting ejected from their galaxies as a result of a gravitational sling caused by a black hole. Is this a real thing? I'm having a hard time understanding how gravity in galaxies works. Could a planet in interglactic space be so far out there that it is not affected by any gravitational pull?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Alltimegreat1 said:
Could a planet in interglactic space be so far out there that it is not affected by any gravitational pull?
Hi Alltimegreat:

I am not an expert, but I will make a try at answering your question.

Nothing "is not affected by any gravitational pull". However, some matter, e.g., an isolated planet, may be sufficiently far away from other relatively nearby matter so that it is not gravitationally bound to any other matter.

One interpretation of this is that the net gravitational force from all other relatively nearby matter cannot accelerate the planet towards the other matter to a greater velocity that the expansion of the universe moves the planet away from the other matter.

A second interpretation is that the velocity of the planet relative to the center of mass of all the other relatively nearby matter is greater than the escape velocity at the planet's distance from the center of mass of the other matter.

A third interpretation is that the net gravitational acceleration of the planet towards the center of mass of relatively nearby matter is less than the acceleration of the universe relative to the vector between the planet and the center of mass of the other matter.

I am curious to see what others might answer.

Regards,
Buzz

Last edited:
Likes Sei and phinds
Buzz, I think that's a good set of scenarios.

Related to Planets in intergalactic space

1. What is intergalactic space?

Intergalactic space refers to the vast, empty regions between galaxies in the universe. It is made up of mostly gas and dust, with very low densities compared to the inside of galaxies.

2. Are there planets in intergalactic space?

While it is possible for planets to exist in intergalactic space, they are very rare. The low densities of gas and dust make it difficult for planets to form, and they would likely be far from any stars, making it difficult for them to sustain life.

3. How do planets end up in intergalactic space?

Planets can end up in intergalactic space through a variety of ways, such as being ejected from their own solar systems during the formation of a new star, or being pulled away from their star by the gravitational forces of passing galaxies.

4. Can we observe planets in intergalactic space?

Currently, we do not have the technology to directly observe planets in intergalactic space. However, we can indirectly detect their presence through studying the effects they have on the surrounding gas and dust in the area.

5. Could there be habitable planets in intergalactic space?

While it is possible for planets to exist in intergalactic space, it is unlikely that they would be habitable. The lack of nearby stars would make it difficult for these planets to have the necessary conditions for life to thrive.