Plasma ball electric shock mystery

In summary, the plasma ball has a high voltage and the glass is an insulator, which explains why you do not receive an electric shock when touching it. The extra parasitic capacitance of your hand creates an attractive spot for the RF energy to flow, as the human body is more easily polarized than the gas within the globe. However, the current is limited by the internal resistance of the voltage source, preventing you from receiving a shock. Placing a piece of aluminium foil on the globe may result in a small shock due to the close proximity of the conductive material.
Herbert Cheung
Plasma ball has a high voltage. Why don't we get an electric shock when we touch it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Herbert Cheung said:
Plasma ball has a high voltage. Why don't we get an electric shock when we touch it?
Glass is an insulator. :smile:

Likes CWatters
Oic @berkeman
So why is the plasma thread attracted to my hand when we touch it?

Herbert Cheung said:
Oic @berkeman
So why is the plasma thread attracted to my hand when we touch it?
I believe it's because of the extra parasitic capacitance that your hand presents when you touch the glass globe, but I'm not sure. Can you post links to the reading you've been doing about them? Have you seen if Wikipedia has a good introductory article on them? :smile:

Last edited:
It's actually a very interesting question. The answer seems to be that your finger gets RF energy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasma_globe said:
Placing a finger tip on the glass creates an attractive spot for the energy to flow, because the conductive human body (having non-ohmic resistance of about 1000 ohms at room temperature) is more easily polarized than the dielectric material around the electrode (i.e. the gas within the globe) providing an alternative discharge path having less resistance. Therefore, the capacity of the large conducting body to accept radio frequency energy is greater than that of the surrounding air.

Herbert Cheung said:
Why don't we get an electric shock when we touch it?

You do not get an electric shock because the current is limited by the internal resistance of the voltage source.
If there is a small air gap between the globe and your hand, a discharge may develop in that gap, perceived by a hissing noise and the odor of ozone. If you put a piece of aluminium foil on the globe, your finger may receive a small shock.

plasmaball.png

Attachments

• plasmaball.png
    plasmaball.png
    1.5 KB · Views: 828
Last edited:

1. What is a plasma ball?

A plasma ball is a type of novelty lamp that contains gases such as neon, argon, and xenon inside a sealed glass sphere. When electricity is applied to the gases, it creates a plasma, which is a state of matter that is similar to a gas but also contains free-flowing electrons.

2. How does a plasma ball work?

Inside the glass sphere of a plasma ball, there is a small Tesla coil that produces high-frequency alternating current (AC) electricity. This electricity excites the gases inside the sphere, causing them to glow and form the characteristic lightning-like streamers that we see.

3. Why do I feel an electric shock when touching a plasma ball?

The electric shock is caused by the high-frequency AC electricity that is being produced by the Tesla coil inside the plasma ball. When you touch the glass surface, your body acts as a conductor, allowing the electricity to pass through you and creating the sensation of a shock. However, the electricity is at a very low level and is not harmful.

4. How does the plasma ball respond to touch?

The plasma ball responds to touch because our bodies are conductive, meaning we can carry and transfer electricity. When you touch the surface of the plasma ball, the electricity is attracted to your hand and forms a path of least resistance, creating the streamers that follow your touch.

5. Is there any danger in using a plasma ball?

No, there is no danger in using a plasma ball. The electricity produced by the Tesla coil is at a low level and is not harmful. However, it is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and not open the glass sphere or modify the internal components, as this could potentially cause harm.