Plasma Physics - Grad School Questions

In summary: I would really like to get a permanent job there, but I'm not sure if my resume reflects that.In summary, the physics graduate student is most interested in Astrophysics, but is concerned about job prospects and feels that a degree in Plasma Physics will help. The student is also concerned about recommendations and financing a graduate degree. The Physics GRE is also on the mind of the student. The student has experience tutoring and is looking for a permanent job. The student is an introvert and is not interested in teaching.
darkchild
I've been agonizing over what to study in graduate school. I'm most interested in Astrophysics (which is what my undergraduate degree will be in), but the job prospects have scared me off of Astrophysics and even general Physics, and I'm not interested in academia anyhow. In an attempt to compromise interests and some sort of a shot at a relevant job, I decided it might be a good idea to get a degree in Plasma Physics. I hope that, with fusion being a promising source of energy, there being an energy crisis in the U.S., and the Dept. of Energy funding research, it might be easier (although not much easier, I realize) to find a job with such a specialty. Does this sound like a good plan? I'd like to read about anyone's experiences with plasma physics (school- and/or career-wise), as well.

Another thing I am really worried about are recommendations. It's been two years since I left my university, and I didn't really connect with many of the professors. There were two professors I've had write me recommendations for an internship (about a year and a half ago)...is it ok to ask them again? I don't really understand the recommendations etiquette.

The Physics GRE is also on my mind. I've been working and haven't had much time/energy/peace of mind to study much for it, but I'd like to have it done so I can apply to grad school this fall. Does 4-6 months study time seem realistic for doing well? This is coming from some one who was about a low B student. Does anyone know of any California test prep centers that tutor for it? Kaplan has nothing.

I'm in need of a mentor. I looked into MentorNet but I don't qualify. Can anyone recommend another service/website?

My last question is about financing. I REALLY do not want to be in a teacher assistanceship position where I have to explain stuff to undergrads. I know having to explain things helps me to understand them myself, but I already have several years tutoring experience (during which I was quite successful and in demand) at the college level, so I know that I'm capable of explaining things when necessary. The experience I had also made me want to avoid anything like tutoring in the future, though. I'm an introvert and having to deal with people on a regular basis like that will just drain me, and I see it affecting my studies. I could deal with something like being a grader. To those of you who've financed physics grad school this way, were you given a choice of what you did? I have a really good internship lined up for this summer (at a National Lab), and I've had some computational research experience at my undergrad university. How much would this, along with being fairly certain about my research interests, help me get a research assistanceship instead, early in my graduate career rather than later?

Thanks for reading.

Physics news on Phys.org
@recommendations: do you have some from employers, etc? they don't always need to be from professors. if you did undergraduate research with one, they'll probably remember you.

@physics GRE: take a practice. depending on how well you do dictates how much time you should study.

@TA/RA ship: first, look for a graduate fellowship (NSF does a bunch) if you can. if you get one of those, it'll really boast your graduate application [friend of mine got one as a graduating senior; within 48 hours of notifying all his schools he got it, he got into each school. plus some schools he go rejected from. and some schools he didnt apply to...]

typically, there is some kind of teaching requirement for graduate students (minimum a year or so). you can always teach upper division undergrads or even graduate classes (lower div under grads... ew). and being a TA drains everyone. what I've seen a lot of TAs do is just schedule to TA a bunch of labs on one day. no reserach gets done on that day, but professors understand.

and about getting an RA: you need two things- an adviser with money and be good enough to justify an RA.

flemmyd said:
@recommendations: do you have some from employers, etc? they don't always need to be from professors. if you did undergraduate research with one, they'll probably remember you.

I haven't had much steady/impressive/well-supervised employment. The best I could do would be something from the director of the university program I tutored at for a year, but he had very little direct contact with me and never saw me work. I've recently tutored online for a few months, but the supervision was remote (the guy would read the tutoring transcripts and give email feedback a couple of times a month). I have a little over a month of temp work with the U.S. Census Bureau lined up for next month, but, again, very little supervision, and not a lot of time on the job, even if I do well enough to earn a recommendation. The guy I did research with...his program was disorganized, so, although I learned some good skills, I didn't accomplish much, and I worked from home so I don't think he'd have much to say about me. The employer angle does not look good :(

within 48 hours of notifying all his schools he got it, he got into each school. plus some schools he go rejected from. and some schools he didnt apply to...]

Holy crap!

bump for any advice/experience with Plasma Physics

As a scientist with a background in plasma physics, I can offer some insight into your questions and concerns about pursuing a graduate degree in this field.

Firstly, it is completely understandable to have concerns about job prospects in a particular field. However, I want to assure you that plasma physics is a rapidly growing and expanding field, with many opportunities for employment in both research and industry. With the increasing demand for clean and sustainable energy sources, plasma physicists are well-positioned to contribute to the development of fusion energy technology. Additionally, plasma physics has applications in a wide range of fields, including materials science, space exploration, and even medicine.

In terms of your concerns about recommendations, it is perfectly acceptable to ask the same professors for letters of recommendation again. However, it may also be beneficial to reach out to other professors or professionals in the field who can speak to your potential as a graduate student and researcher. Don't be afraid to ask for recommendations from people you may have worked with through your internship or computational research experience.

As for the Physics GRE, 4-6 months of study time is definitely realistic. It's important to start early and consistently review material, but don't overwhelm yourself. You can also find study materials and practice tests online to help prepare.

Finding a mentor is a great idea, and there are many resources available for connecting with mentors in the field of plasma physics. I would recommend reaching out to professors or professionals in the field through networking events or conferences. You can also join professional organizations, such as the American Physical Society, which often have mentorship programs for students.

In terms of financing your graduate degree, research assistantships are a common way to fund graduate studies in physics. Your previous research experience and internship will definitely be helpful in securing a research assistantship. It's important to communicate your interests and skills to potential advisors and be open to different research opportunities.

Overall, pursuing a graduate degree in plasma physics is a great choice, and there are many resources available to help you along the way. Don't hesitate to reach out to professors, professionals, and organizations for guidance and support. Best of luck in your studies and future career!

1. What is plasma physics?

Plasma physics is the study of the properties and behavior of plasma, which is a state of matter consisting of ionized gas. It involves understanding the interactions between charged particles and electromagnetic fields.

2. What are some applications of plasma physics?

Plasma physics has a wide range of applications, including fusion energy research, astrophysics, space propulsion, and materials processing. It is also used in plasma displays, plasma TVs, and plasma cutting technology.

3. What kind of educational background is required for graduate studies in plasma physics?

A strong background in physics, mathematics, and engineering is typically required for graduate studies in plasma physics. Some programs may also require coursework in related fields such as chemistry or computer science.

4. What research opportunities are available in graduate school for plasma physics?

Graduate students in plasma physics have the opportunity to work on a variety of research projects, including experimental, theoretical, and computational studies. These may involve topics such as plasma instabilities, plasma turbulence, and plasma diagnostics.

5. What kind of career opportunities are available for graduates with a degree in plasma physics?

Graduates with a degree in plasma physics can pursue careers in a variety of industries, including energy, aerospace, and research. They may work as scientists, engineers, or professors, and have the opportunity to contribute to cutting-edge technologies and advancements in the field.