Plasmonic - Dielectric function

In summary, the conversation was about the electrical permittivity of a metal in a high frequency regime, specifically regarding the lead dielectric function (PD). The speaker was having trouble finding research materials and values related to this topic and was wondering if the other person could provide any insight. The other person suggested looking at EELS-spectra or optical measurements to estimate the dielectric function and provided a list of links for further research.
LUFER
TL;DR Summary
reference values and graphs
Regarding the electrical permittivity of the metal in a high frequency regime, I cannot find research material related to the lead dielectric function (PD). I can't get the matatrial as values, I'll let you comment on that. I know that Pd can inhibit the amount of gamma rays in the x-ray case, but I would like to know about values related to that.

Physics news on Phys.org
LUFER said:
Summary:: reference values and graphs

Regarding the electrical permittivity of the metal in a high frequency regime, I cannot find research material related to the lead dielectric function (PD). I can't get the matatrial as values, I'll let you comment on that. I know that Pd can inhibit the amount of gamma rays in the x-ray case, but I would like to know about values related to that.
Could you explain a bit more? What does PD stand for? Is Pd Palladium? By lead, do you mean the element?

Likes vanhees71
Philip Koeck said:
Could you explain a bit more? What does PD stand for? Is Pd Palladium? By lead, do you mean the element?
This element I'm saying: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead

LUFER said:
This element I'm saying: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead
Right. So you want the dielectric function of lead or Pb (not Pd).

The best way might be to look at EELS-spectra (Electron energy loss spectra). They can give you a good estimate of the dielectric function of metals, I believe.
Google "EELS Atlas". Might help.
Otherwise there should be optical measurements, but I don't know so much about that.

What is the Plasmonic-Dielectric function?

The Plasmonic-Dielectric function is a mathematical description of the interaction between plasmons (collective oscillations of electrons) and a dielectric material (a material that does not conduct electricity). It is used to analyze and predict the behavior of plasmonic materials in various applications.

How is the Plasmonic-Dielectric function calculated?

The Plasmonic-Dielectric function is typically calculated using the Drude model, which takes into account the free electron density, electron relaxation time, and effective mass of the material. Other more complex models, such as the Lorentz model, can also be used to calculate the Plasmonic-Dielectric function.

What is the significance of the Plasmonic-Dielectric function in nanotechnology?

The Plasmonic-Dielectric function is crucial in the field of nanotechnology as it helps in understanding and designing plasmonic materials for various applications, such as sensing, imaging, and energy harvesting. It also helps in optimizing the performance of these materials by predicting their behavior under different conditions.

How does the Plasmonic-Dielectric function affect the optical properties of a material?

The Plasmonic-Dielectric function plays a significant role in determining the optical properties of a material, such as its refractive index, absorption coefficient, and reflectivity. It can also affect the color and intensity of light absorbed or scattered by the material, making it a crucial factor in the design of plasmonic devices for optical applications.

Can the Plasmonic-Dielectric function be tuned or modified?

Yes, the Plasmonic-Dielectric function can be modified by changing the properties of the material, such as its composition, size, and shape. By altering these parameters, the Plasmonic-Dielectric function can be tuned to enhance specific optical properties, making it a versatile tool for designing and optimizing plasmonic materials for various applications.