Plastic Analysis: Upper Bound Theorem

In summary: Many thanks for your response. Can you explain how B is a centre of rotation, I am struggling to see how this is the case.Otherwise, with regards to the extra angle \theta at D, is this a correct line of reasoning to follow?When you draw your sway diagram, there are 3 parts, each with their own centre of rotation, namely A B and I. Apply a theta to A and draw the remaining mechanism to scale. Work from there.
Master1022
Homework Statement
Find the value of the collapsed load factor when Mp = 120 kN/m
Relevant Equations
Plastic energy dissipated = work done by loads
Hi,

I have a quick question about part 1 of this upper bound theorem question (in the attached image). Answer says that [itex] \lambda_c = 2.25 [/itex].
Screen Shot 2020-02-19 at 12.12.52 PM.png

First, we know that there is 1 redundancy and therefore there will be a maximum of 2 plastic hinges for failure.

I have found that there needs to be swaying to right of the right side of the structure (by an angle [itex] \theta [/itex]), but I don't have any intuition for why that would be the case. Would someone be able to explain to me why there must be swaying in the structure for the mechanism illustrated? If I update my answer below to include this, then I get the correct answer.

(Initial drawing without the swaying)
IMG_8744.jpg

Doing my original incorrect analysis yields:
[tex] M_p \left( \theta \right) + 2 M_p \left( 2 \theta \right) = 100 \lambda \left( 3 \theta \right) + w \lambda \left( \frac{1}{2} 2 \left( 2 \theta \right) \right) [/tex]
Substituting in the values from the question, that will yield [itex] \lambda = \frac{600}{320} = 1.875 [/itex], which isn't the correct answer.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-02-19 at 12.12.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-19 at 12.12.52 PM.png
    20.4 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Master1022 said:
Homework Statement:: Find the value of the collapsed load factor when Mp = 120 kN/m
Relevant Equations:: Plastic energy dissipated = work done by loads

Hi,

I have a quick question about part 1 of this upper bound theorem question (in the attached image). Answer says that [itex] \lambda_c = 2.25 [/itex]. View attachment 257324

First, we know that there is 1 redundancy and therefore there will be a maximum of 2 plastic hinges for failure.

I have found that there needs to be swaying to right of the right side of the structure (by an angle [itex] \theta [/itex]), but I don't have any intuition for why that would be the case. Would someone be able to explain to me why there must be swaying in the structure for the mechanism illustrated? If I update my answer below to include this, then I get the correct answer.

(Initial drawing without the swaying)
View attachment 257326

Doing my original incorrect analysis yields:
[tex] M_p \left( \theta \right) + 2 M_p \left( 2 \theta \right) = 100 \lambda \left( 3 \theta \right) + w \lambda \left( \frac{1}{2} 2 \left( 2 \theta \right) \right) [/tex]
Substituting in the values from the question, that will yield [itex] \lambda = \frac{600}{320} = 1.875 [/itex], which isn't the correct answer.
In your initial sketch, allegedly without sway, you have included some sway of the left hand column, but not of the right hand column. The line AF produced meets the line DC produced at a point 4 m above C. This is the instantaneous centre of rotation of the beam segment FC, say call it point I. When you draw your sway diagram, there are 3 parts, each with their own centre of rotation, namely A B and I. Apply a theta to A and draw the remaining mechanism to scale. Work from there.

pongo38 said:
When you draw your sway diagram, there are 3 parts, each with their own centre of rotation, namely A B and I. Apply a theta to A and draw the remaining mechanism to scale. Work from there.
Many thanks for your response. Can you explain how B is a centre of rotation, I am struggling to see how this is the case.

Otherwise, with regards to the extra angle [itex] \theta [/itex] at D, is this a correct line of reasoning to follow?
So if we have applied some angle [itex] \theta [/itex] to A in the CW direction, then we must have some angle [itex] \theta [/itex] in the CCW direction at I (intersection of AF and DC) due to [itex] 5 \times \theta_{AF} = 5 \times \theta_{IF} [/itex]. Thus, due to the CCW rotation at I, there will be a displacement at C with the size of [itex] = r_{IC} \theta [/itex]. Due to the equivalence argument again, then we must have a CW angle of [itex] \theta [/itex] at D.

1. What is the Upper Bound Theorem in plastic analysis?

The Upper Bound Theorem is a method used in plastic analysis to determine the maximum load that a structure can withstand before undergoing plastic deformation. It is based on the principle that the actual load-carrying capacity of a structure cannot exceed the upper bound limit set by the theorem.

2. How is the Upper Bound Theorem used in plastic analysis?

The Upper Bound Theorem is used in plastic analysis by assuming a hypothetical mechanism of failure and calculating the work done by external forces and the work done by internal plastic forces. The maximum load is then determined by optimizing the work done by external forces subject to the upper bound limit set by the theorem.

3. What are the key assumptions of the Upper Bound Theorem?

The Upper Bound Theorem assumes that the structure has reached a state of plastic equilibrium and that the internal plastic forces are proportional to the external forces. It also assumes that the structure has a unique mechanism of failure and that the failure occurs when the upper bound limit is reached.

4. What are the advantages of using the Upper Bound Theorem in plastic analysis?

The Upper Bound Theorem provides a simple and systematic approach to determine the maximum load-carrying capacity of a structure. It also allows for the consideration of complex loading conditions and the effects of plasticity on the structural response.

5. Are there any limitations to the Upper Bound Theorem?

One limitation of the Upper Bound Theorem is that it does not provide information about the actual distribution of plastic strains and stresses within a structure. It also assumes that the structure is homogeneous and isotropic, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios.