Playing with digits codewar problem-looking for alternative way to solve this problem

• Thread starter shivajikobardan
  • Start date
In summary, one way to solve the given problem is to express the given number as a sum of powers of its digits and check if the sum is divisible by the given number. This can be done using the equation N = Sum_of(Digit^Power) and a loop to calculate each digit's power. If the sum is divisible by the given number, the answer is the sum divided by the number, otherwise the answer is -1. A flowchart for this algorithm can also be used to understand the steps visually.
shivajikobardan
Training on Playing with digits | Codewars
This is how I youtube'd and found a solution-:

Code:
n=89
p=1
my_sum=0
for num in str(n):
    my_sum=my_sum+(int(num))**p
    p=p+1
if(my_sum%n==0):
    print(int(my_sum/n))
else:
    print(-1)

What is another way to solve this problem? I prefer no code solutions with flowcharts/algorithms rather than writing codes so that I can try writing codes on my own. But I of course won't mind code with comments tbh.

I want a more mathematical way of solving this problem. like using that given equation in code and finding a solution...I know we are already using it...but I want sth different.

Technology news on Phys.org
One way to solve this problem is to express the given number as a sum of powers of its digits. This can be done by using the following equation:N = Sum_of(Digit^Power)where, N is the given numberDigit is each digit of the given numberPower is the corresponding power for the digitWe can solve this problem by looping through each digit of the given number and calculate its corresponding power. For example, for the given number 89, we will get:89 = 8^1 + 9^2If the sum of the powers is divisible by the given number, then we have our answer. Otherwise, the answer is -1.A sample flowchart for this algorithm is given below:StartInput NSet Sum = 0Loop Through Each Digit of N Calculate Digit^Power Add to SumEnd LoopCheck if Sum is Divisible by N If Yes, Output Sum/N Else Output -1End

1. What is the "Playing with digits" codewar problem?

The "Playing with digits" codewar problem is a programming challenge that asks participants to create a function that takes in a positive integer and returns the sum of the digits raised to consecutive powers. For example, if the input is 89, the function should return 89 because 8^1 + 9^2 = 89.

2. What is the purpose of finding alternative ways to solve this problem?

Finding alternative ways to solve this problem can help improve problem-solving skills and expand one's understanding of different coding techniques. It also allows for more efficient and optimized solutions to be discovered.

3. What are some common strategies for solving this codewar problem?

Some common strategies for solving this codewar problem include converting the integer to a string and then splitting it into individual digits, using loops and mathematical operations to iterate through the digits and calculate the sum, and utilizing built-in functions or libraries for handling numerical computations.

4. Are there any specific challenges or difficulties associated with this codewar problem?

One potential challenge with this codewar problem is handling edge cases, such as inputs with leading zeros or large numbers that may cause integer overflow. Another difficulty may be finding an efficient solution that can handle very large numbers within the time constraints of the codewar challenge.

5. How can I improve my skills and approach for solving this codewar problem?

To improve your skills and approach for solving this codewar problem, you can practice similar problems and challenges, study and learn from others' solutions, and experiment with different coding techniques and algorithms. It may also be helpful to seek feedback from others and participate in coding communities and discussions.