Please can someone help explain the Pinnocchio Illusion?

• Thread starter some bloke
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Explain
In summary, the Pinnocchio Illusion is a specific phenomenon where the application of vibrations to the bicep while touching one's nose can create the illusion of movement. This can be further explored through research and experimentation. The concept is related to proprioception.
some bloke
TL;DR Summary
I grasp the concept of the Pinnocchio Illsion but I am curious as to how it works?
The Pinnocchio Illusion is where you touch your nose whilst blindfolded and apply vibrations to your bicep, and this tricks your mind into thinking your finger is moving and therefore that your nose is growing.

I would like to learn more about this very specific phenomena, namely the ability to create illusionary movement through the application of vibrations to muscles. I assume that this is not specific to the bicep, and that the vibrations are simulating the bicep moving whilst relaxed - which makes your arm feel like it is extending.

Can anyone give me more reading on this? Or will this be an experiment job?

Biology news on Phys.org
Have you an accessible reference?

Ask Jiminy Cricket.
1647201220524.png

some bloke said:
Summary:: I grasp the concept of the Pinnocchio Illsion but I am curious as to how it works?

Can anyone give me more reading on this? Or will this be an experiment job?
Interesting phenomenon. Have you tried simply search for it? Seems that at least a basic description of it is easily found, including various ways to perform the experiment yourself.

See "proprioception."

Likes jim mcnamara

1. What is the Pinnocchio Illusion?

The Pinnocchio Illusion is an optical illusion that makes a person's nose appear longer when they are lying or being deceitful.

2. How does the Pinnocchio Illusion work?

The illusion works by manipulating the brain's perception of facial features. When a person is lying, their brain sends signals to certain facial muscles that can cause them to tense up, making the nose appear longer.

3. Is the Pinnocchio Illusion real?

Yes, the Pinnocchio Illusion is a real phenomenon that has been studied by scientists. It is a visual illusion that can be experienced by anyone, regardless of age or gender.

4. Can the Pinnocchio Illusion be used to detect lies?

While the Pinnocchio Illusion is a real phenomenon, it is not a reliable method for detecting lies. The lengthening of the nose is a subtle change and can be easily missed or mistaken for other facial expressions.

5. Are there any other illusions similar to the Pinnocchio Illusion?

Yes, there are other facial illusions that involve changes in perception based on facial expressions or emotions. Some examples include the Pinocchio Effect, where a person's nose appears to grow when they are feeling guilty, and the Mona Lisa Effect, where the eyes of a painting seem to follow the viewer.