Please help circular motion/ centripetal acceleration and more

In summary, the conversation discusses several physics problems involving projectile motion and circular motion. The first question involves a zoologist trying to hit a falling monkey with a tranquilizer gun, while the second and fourth questions involve calculating the distance and minimum coefficient of friction for objects in circular motion respectively. The third question involves demonstrating centripetal acceleration with a swinging mass. The conversation also mentions relevant equations and concepts, such as projectile motion, centripetal force, and Newton's second law.
bgood400

Homework Statement

Ok, I am a straight A student in math so you think Physics would be easy right? Not exactly. I really need someone to explain this stuff to me. Its probably really easy if it was explained to me correctly but my teacher is not the best when it comes to breaking things down. so here are SOME of the questions that I am having problems with.

- A zoologist standing on a cliff aims a tranquilizer gun at a monkey hanging from a distant tree branch. The barrel of the gun is horizontal. Just as the zoologist pulls the trigger the monkey let's go and begins to fall. Ignoring air resistance, will the dart hit the monkey? Explain.

- A long jumper leaves the ground with a speed of 6.8 m/s at an angle of 34 degrees. How far did she jump?

- Mr. B swings a 3.0 kg mass at the end of a 2.3m string in a horizontal circle to demonstrate centripetal acceleration to a class. If the string can withstand a tension of 80N, at what speed can he swing the mass before risking a lawsuit?

- A car is rounding a curve with a radius of 12 m at 8.2 m/s when it hits a slippery patch. What is the minimum coefficient of static friction between the car and the slick patch of road that will allow the car to round the corner safely?

Homework Equations

mabe these?

a=v squared/r

a=4 pie squared r/T squared

F=4 pie squared rm/T squared

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really know where to start? Or what equations to use, or if these are even the right equations?

ANY help would be appreciated!
Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Too many questions. You are asking us to teach you a course in projectile motion and circular motion.

For the first one, do a google search for the "monkey in the tree" experiment. It's a classic projectile motion problem. It's probably been answered here a dozen times at least.The second is a standard projectile motion problem. Crack open your textbook to that section and read it.

Third is a simple circular motion problem. The string supplies the centripetal force to the mass. Centripetal force has simple formula. The maximum tension in the string determines the maximum centripetal force, and therefore the maximum speed.

Last is a slightly harder circular motion problem. Friction supplies the centripetal force. Friction here is µmg.

Ok so for the second one do I just set up X Y components? X: vox = vocos(theta) and Y: voy = vosin(theta)? And on the 3rd I use a = v^2 / r right?

bgood400 said:
Ok so for the second one do I just set up X Y components? X: vox = vocos(theta) and Y: voy = vosin(theta)? And on the 3rd I use a = v^2 / r right?
On the third (and fourth) combine centripetal acceleration (what you have shown) with mass to get centripetal force. Newton's 2nd law, F=ma, right? so F=(mv^2)/r

okay. Thank you very much! I appreciate your help.

Related to Please help circular motion/ centripetal acceleration and more

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion is the movement of an object along a circular path, where the object's distance from a fixed point remains constant. This type of motion requires a centripetal force to keep the object moving in a circular path.

2. What is centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration that occurs when an object moves in a circular path. It is always directed towards the center of the circle and its magnitude is given by the equation a = v^2/r, where v is the velocity of the object and r is the radius of the circle.

3. How is centripetal acceleration related to circular motion?

Centripetal acceleration is necessary for an object to maintain circular motion. Without it, the object would move in a straight line tangent to the circle. It is the result of the centripetal force that acts as the inward force to keep the object moving in a circular path.

4. What are some real-life examples of circular motion?

Some common examples of circular motion include a car going around a roundabout, a satellite orbiting the Earth, a spinning top, and a Ferris wheel. These objects all require a centripetal force to keep them moving along a circular path.

5. How does centripetal acceleration differ from centrifugal force?

Centripetal acceleration is a real force that is necessary for circular motion, while centrifugal force is a fictitious force that appears to act outward on an object in circular motion. Centrifugal force is the result of an object's inertia and is not a true force of nature.