Difference between radial and centripetal acceleration?

In summary, there seems to be some confusion about the difference between radial acceleration and centripetal acceleration. These two terms are often used interchangeably, but there is a distinction between them. Radial acceleration is the component of acceleration that is perpendicular to the velocity vector, while centripetal acceleration is always directed towards the center of the circular motion. This difference becomes more apparent when considering elliptical orbits where the center may not be a fixed point. It is important to clarify which definition is being used when discussing these terms. Additionally, there may be some variation in the use of these terms in different sources, so it is important to understand the context in which they are being used.
AMan24

Homework Statement

I'm not understanding the difference between them, this is for Uniform Circular Motion.

Homework Equations

ar = -ac = -v2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

So what i know is radial acceleration goes in a direction towards the radius (perpendicular to velocity), and tangential goes with the direction of velocity.

For some reason my book, uses radial acceleration and centripetal acceleration interchangeably, but it doesn't make sense because of that equation i posted which was also in my book.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The difference is that centripetal is always towards the center, but radial could be towards or away from the center in the radial direction.

AMan24 said:
radial acceleration goes in a direction towards the radius (opposite direction of velocity),
I think you mean perpendicular to the velocity.

Likes AMan24
Doc Al said:
I think you mean perpendicular to the velocity.
...if the motion is circular. Consider an elliptical orbit...

Seems to be a variety of views.
I would define radial acceleration as that component of the acceleration vector which is orthogonal to the velocity vector. If the current position is at ##\vec r## relative to the instantaneous centre of curvature then ##\vec r.\vec {a_r}=\vec r.\vec a=-\vec v.\vec v##.
We can deduce this by noting that by definition not only is ##\vec r.\vec v=0## but also its first derivative wrt t is zero: ##0=\dot{\vec r}.\vec v+\vec r.\dot{\vec v}=\vec v.\vec v+\vec r.\vec a##.
If we think of centripetal acceleration as a vector then there is no difference between the two (other than that many would only use the term centripetal for circular motion).
I believe that all agrees with the description at https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acceleration#Tangential_and_centripetal_acceleration.

Or, perhaps you could use centripetal acceleration to mean just the magnitude.
kuruman said:
The difference is that centripetal is always towards the center, but radial could be towards or away from the center in the radial direction.
No, it must always be towards the instantaneous centre of curvature. Maybe you are thinking of radial in respect of an arbitrary origin?
gneill said:
...if the motion is circular. Consider an elliptical orbit...
It is always perpendicular to the velocity. Again, maybe you are using it in respect of an arbitrary origin.

Last edited:
haruspex said:
No, it must always be towards the instantaneous centre of curvature. Maybe you are thinking of radial in respect of an arbitrary origin?
I was thinking instantaneous center of curvature, but neglected to say so.

haruspex said:
It is always perpendicular to the velocity. Again, maybe you are using it in respect of an arbitrary origin.

I agree that if you consider the instantaneous center of curvature along an arbitrary trajectory that the radial velocity will always be perpendicular to the velocity vector. But I suspect that this approach might be outside the OP's current level of study (I invite @AMan24 to correct me here!).

I think it more likely that original intention was to address circular motion about a fixed center. I added the allusion to elliptical orbits, where the center is conventionally taken to be Sun, so that the concept wouldn't be taken as universally true regardless of circumstance.

haruspex said:
Or, perhaps you could use centripetal acceleration to mean just the magnitude
Rereading post #1, I think that mght be the answer to the original query. In the relevant equation posted, it seems ar is being taken as positive in the positive r direction (fairly standard) but ac is either being taken as a magnitude or measured in the direction towards the instantaneous centre. The book, on the other hand, may be treating both as vectors, and from the same origin, making them interchangeable.

gneill said:
I agree that if you consider the instantaneous center of curvature along an arbitrary trajectory that the radial velocity will always be perpendicular to the velocity vector. But I suspect that this approach might be outside the OP's current level of study (I invite @AMan24 to correct me here!).

I think it more likely that original intention was to address circular motion about a fixed center. I added the allusion to elliptical orbits, where the center is conventionally taken to be Sun, so that the concept wouldn't be taken as universally true regardless of circumstance.
Ok, but it comes down to the definition of "radial acceleration" (you meant that, not radial velocity, right?). According to the link I posted, it means the component of acceleration normal to the velocity, not the acceleration in the direction away from an arbitrarily defined origin.
But since the OP is only concerned with circular motion as yet, this will be a future matter.

haruspex said:
Ok, but it comes down to the definition of "radial acceleration" (you meant that, not radial velocity, right?)
Yes, of course. My error in typing faster than I was thinking :oops:

1. What is the difference between radial and centripetal acceleration?

Radial acceleration is the acceleration that a body experiences as it moves along a curved path, while centripetal acceleration is the component of acceleration that is directed towards the center of the circular motion.

2. How are radial and centripetal acceleration related?

Radial acceleration and centripetal acceleration are related in that they both contribute to the overall acceleration of an object moving in a circular path. Radial acceleration is a result of the object's changing direction, while centripetal acceleration is a result of the object's changing speed.

3. Is radial acceleration always present in circular motion?

Yes, radial acceleration is always present in circular motion because an object moving along a curved path is constantly changing direction, which requires a change in velocity and thus, acceleration.

4. How is centripetal acceleration calculated?

Centripetal acceleration can be calculated using the formula a = v^2/r, where a is the centripetal acceleration, v is the speed of the object, and r is the radius of the circular path.

5. Can an object experience radial acceleration without centripetal acceleration?

No, an object cannot experience radial acceleration without centripetal acceleration. As mentioned earlier, radial acceleration and centripetal acceleration are both components of the overall acceleration in circular motion, and they work together to keep an object moving in a circular path.