Please help - Efficiency of car engine question Unit test tomorrow

In summary, the question is asking for the amount of chemical energy needed to move a car a distance of 450 m at a constant speed of 21 m/s, given that the car's engine is only 12% efficient at converting chemical energy into mechanical energy. The formula for efficiency is 100 * Energy out / Energy in, and using the equations for work and power, the formula can be rearranged to give the energy input needed, which is 100 * force * distance / efficiency.
13physicsdude
Please help -- Efficiency of car engine question... Unit test tomorrow

Homework Statement

A car's engine is only 12% efficient at converting chemical energy in gasoline into mechanical energy. If it takes 18000 N of force to keep the car moving at a constant speed of 21 m/s, how much chemical energy would be needed to move the car a distance of 450 m at this speed?

Homework Equations

(Eout/Ein)100%
Ek=1/2mv^2
Et=Ek+Eg

The Attempt at a Solution

(Eout/Ein)100%

18000N x 450m/ 18000N x 21 x Ek = 12%
and then I solved for energy
I know this is completely wrong but i just don't understand how to do this question without having the mass... I have my unit test tomorrow and this is the only question I don't understand on the review! PLEASE help me I'm having trouble understanding the efficiency questions, especially this one! I just don't know how else to attempt it!

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you been taught..

Work (aka Energy) = force * distance
or
Power = force * Velocity

EDIT: Sorry I keep getting interrupted here.

The definition of efficiency is...

Efficiency(%) = 100 * Energy out / Energy in

Rearrange to give Energy In..

Energy In = 100 * Energy Out/Efficiency

substitute force * distance for Energy Out

Energy In = 100 * force * distance/ Efficiency

Last edited:
thanks you!

1. How do you calculate the efficiency of a car engine?

The efficiency of a car engine can be calculated by dividing the output power by the input power and multiplying by 100%. The output power is typically measured by the torque and rotational speed of the engine, while the input power is the amount of fuel consumed.

2. What factors affect the efficiency of a car engine?

The efficiency of a car engine can be affected by various factors, such as the design and size of the engine, the quality of the fuel, the engine temperature, and the air-fuel ratio. Proper maintenance and regular tune-ups can also play a role in maintaining an efficient engine.

3. How can you improve the efficiency of a car engine?

There are several ways to improve the efficiency of a car engine, such as keeping the engine well-maintained, using high-quality fuel, maintaining the correct air-fuel ratio, and using lightweight materials in the engine's construction. Proper driving techniques, such as smooth acceleration and avoiding excessive idling, can also contribute to improved efficiency.

4. What is a unit test for a car engine efficiency?

A unit test for a car engine efficiency typically involves measuring the torque and rotational speed of the engine while it is running. This data is then used to calculate the output power and compare it to the input power to determine the engine's efficiency.

5. What are the benefits of having an efficient car engine?

An efficient car engine can provide several benefits, including improved fuel economy, reduced emissions, and better performance. It can also lead to cost savings in the long run by reducing the amount of fuel needed to power the car.