Which Engineering College is Better for Me: Villanova or Rutgers?

• Schools
  • Thread starter nyr
  • Start date
In summary, both Villanova and Rutgers have good engineering programs, but Rutgers has better research opportunities.
nyr
I've been accepted to UMICH, Rutgers, Penn State, Villanova, and Drexel engineering. I've narrowed down my college choices down to the ones I can afford, Villanova and Rutgers. I'm visiting both next week. Both will also cost the same. I plan on majoring in mechanical/aerospace engineering.

Villanova is much smaller and is ranked #10 in engineering (where doctorate is not offered.)
But at the same time I'd imagine Rutgers would have better research opportunities since it is a much larger school.

I also would like to perhaps get a masters degree after. Both offer a 5 year bs/ms program. However, if I wanted to pursue a masters at a different school it might be difficult getting in from Rutgers because I heard its harder to get A's there.

Overall which would you say has a better engineering program? Are there any other positives/negatives about attending either? Would you recommend one over the other?

Physics news on Phys.org
Visit both and then decide. For all you know, you may not like the weather at Rutgers and choose Villanova. I forgot which hedge fund manager chose UChicago over Standford because of the weather. True story bro.

Villanova is an hour and a half west of Rutgers. Weather should not be that much different...

Haha. I guess my main point wasn't clear. Visit both schools and decide from the visits where you feel you fit in better. We are talking about a place you will possibly spend the next 5 years of your life. Don't just close your eyes and hope someone chooses the good one for you.

DeadOriginal said:
Haha. I guess my main point wasn't clear. Visit both schools and decide from the visits where you feel you fit in better. We are talking about a place you will possibly spend the next 5 years of your life. Don't just close your eyes and hope someone chooses the good one for you.

I tend to agree. It sounds like the schools are both capable of offering what the OP is looking for, at about the same price.

There are certain "cultural" things about a place that can really make a big difference in your overall well-being. Things like how friendly people are, or how easily the faculty mix in with the students. I don't want to sound like I'm being too touch-feely, but those intangibles really can make a big difference. A happy student is more likely to be a successful student.

1. How do I compare the academic programs of different colleges?

To compare the academic programs of different colleges, you can start by researching the majors and courses offered by each college. Look at the curriculum, class sizes, and faculty credentials. You can also reach out to current students or alumni to get their perspective on the program.

2. What factors should I consider when choosing between colleges?

When choosing between colleges, there are several important factors to consider. These include academic programs, location, campus size and culture, cost and financial aid options, career services and internship opportunities, and overall fit for your personal and academic goals.

3. How can I determine the cost of attending each college?

To determine the cost of attending a college, you can look at the published tuition and fees, as well as estimated costs for housing, meals, books, and other expenses. You can also research financial aid options such as scholarships, grants, and loans that may be available to help cover the cost.

4. What is the importance of campus visits in the decision-making process?

Campus visits can be crucial in the decision-making process as they allow you to get a feel for the campus culture, interact with current students and faculty, and see the facilities and resources available. This can help you determine if the college is a good fit for you and your academic and personal goals.

5. How do I make a final decision between colleges?

Making a final decision between colleges can be challenging, but it's important to consider all the information and factors that are important to you. It can also be helpful to make a pros and cons list, visit the campuses, and talk to current students or alumni. Ultimately, trust your instincts and choose the college that feels like the best fit for you.