Why Isn't Induced Charge Shown in Electrostatics Problems?

In summary, the homework statement is that the potential due to a hollow sphere at the center is equal to the mass of the sphere multiplied by the radius of the sphere.
vijayramakrishnan

Homework Statement

Please see this illustration

http://www.physicsgalaxy.com/lectures/1/57/1006/Solved-Example-1#6 (see question only)

Homework Equations

potential due to a hollow sphere at it's centre = kq/r

The Attempt at a Solution

here won't there be an induced positive charge on the outer surface of inner shell and an induced negative charge on the inner surface of outer shell also to maintain the electrical neutrality of spherical shell?

Why isn't it shown here? And the net potential is also affected by the positive positive charge on the outer surface of inner shell and an induced negative charge on the inner surface of outer shell so won't the answer be different

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello. Welcome to PF.

I believe there is only one shell, not two.

R1 is the radius of the inner surface of the shell and R2 is the radius of the outer surface of the shell.

The question in the link is:
Respected sir, can you explain me why the distribution of positive induced charge is symmetrical at outer surface? I can understand that due to eccentric position of charge distribution of negative induced charge will not be uniform. Is the relation charge density is inversely proportional to the radius of curvature valid for induced charges also? please explain in detail? I will be highly thankful to you.
... there's also a video.
The video problem has a thick conducting shell (inner and outer radii labelled on the diagram) with a small charged placed off-center inside it.

The thing to remember about a conductor is that charges in them can move around. They always move so as to cancel out any electric field that may otherwise have been inside. Thus the solid interior of the conductor must have zero static electric field.

The space between the inner and outer surfaces has no charges - all charges have moved to the surfaces. Negative charges have moved to the inner surface, attracted by the positive charge. The positive charges left behind all repel each other so they go to the outer surface.

TSny said:
Hello. Welcome to PF.

I believe there is only one shell, not two.

R1 is the radius of the inner surface of the shell and R2 is the radius of the outer surface of the shell.
iam extremely sorry sir,for not reading the question properly.my sincere apologies.

Simon Bridge said:
The question in the link is:
... there's also a video.
The video problem has a thick conducting shell (inner and outer radii labelled on the diagram) with a small charged placed off-center inside it.

The thing to remember about a conductor is that charges in them can move around. They always move so as to cancel out any electric field that may otherwise have been inside. Thus the solid interior of the conductor must have zero static electric field.

The space between the inner and outer surfaces has no charges - all charges have moved to the surfaces. Negative charges have moved to the inner surface, attracted by the positive charge. The positive charges left behind all repel each other so they go to the outer surface.
thank you very much for replying sir.
iam extremely sorry sir,for not reading the question properly.my sincere apologies.

vijayramakrishnan said:
That's nothing to worry about. We all do that from time to time.

Likes Simon Bridge

1. What is electrostatics?

Electrostatics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of electric charges at rest. It involves the behavior of stationary or slow-moving electric charges and the interaction between them.

2. What is the difference between electric field and electric potential?

Electric field is a vector quantity that describes the force experienced by a charged particle at a given point in space. Electric potential, on the other hand, is a scalar quantity that describes the potential energy per unit charge at a given point in space. In simpler terms, electric field tells us how a charged particle will move, while electric potential tells us how much energy it has.

3. How is Coulomb's law used in electrostatics?

Coulomb's law is a fundamental equation in electrostatics that describes the force between two stationary charged particles. It states that the force is directly proportional to the product of the two charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

4. Can you give an example of an application of electrostatics in everyday life?

An example of an application of electrostatics in everyday life is the functioning of electronic devices such as televisions, computers, and cell phones. These devices use the principles of electrostatics to generate and control electric charges, allowing them to function properly.

5. How does the presence of conductors or insulators affect electrostatics?

Conductors and insulators play a crucial role in electrostatics. Conductors, which allow the free flow of electrons, can easily transfer electric charges and have a constant electric potential. Insulators, on the other hand, do not allow the free flow of electrons and can hold a charge without it leaking away. This difference in behavior greatly affects the distribution of electric charges in a system and can be manipulated for various purposes.