Please help with one problem about writing ellipse in standard form?

In summary: We were given the co-vertices...the end-points of the shorter axis (it has length 6). We want to find the end-points now of the major axis (the longer axis, having length 10), which are called the vertices. :DWe were given the co-vertices...the end-points of the shorter axis (it has length 6). We want to find the end-points now of the major axis (the longer axis, having length 10), which are called the vertices. :DSo, the two vertices are (5,0) and (0,5).
JakeyTheIdiot
Write the equation for an ellipse with vertices (0,-3) and (0,3), minor axis of length 10.

I know that the standard form of an ellipse is (x-h)^2/a^2 + (y-k)^2/b^2=1

Please help me ! Please!

Thank you so much for your time, I appreciate it.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
It appears that the minor axis is longer than the major axis. Are you certain you have copied the problem correctly?

Yes, I am certain :p I think the minor axis is the vertical length of the circle

- - - Updated - - -

MarkFL said:
It appears that the minor axis is longer than the major axis. Are you certain you have copied the problem correctly?

Yes, I am positive! :P

JakeyTheIdiot said:
Write the equation for an ellipse with vertices (0,-3) and (0,3), minor axis of length 10.

I know that the standard form of an ellipse is (x-h)^2/a^2 + (y-k)^2/b^2=1

Please help me ! Please!

Thank you so much for your time, I appreciate it.

The posted problem is impossible, so let's look at the problem:

Write the equation for an ellipse with co-vertices $(0,-3)$ and $(0,3)$, major axis of length 10.

Can you identify where the center of the ellipse must be?

MarkFL said:
The posted problem is impossible, so let's look at the problem:

Write the equation for an ellipse with co-vertices $(0,-3)$ and $(0,3)$, major axis of length 10.

Can you identify where the center of the ellipse must be?

(h,k) = (0,0) so the center is (0,0).

JakeyTheIdiot said:
(h,k) = (0,0) so the center is (0,0).

That is the correct center, but the reason is that the center is the mid-point of the co-vertices:

\(\displaystyle (h,k)=\left(\frac{0+0}{2},\frac{-3+3}{2}\right)=(0,0)\)

So, given that the major axis is perpendicular to the minor axis at the center, can you give the coordinates of the vertices?

MarkFL said:
That is the correct center, but the reason is that the center is the mid-point of the co-vertices:

\(\displaystyle (h,k)=\left(\frac{0+0}{2},\frac{-3+3}{2}\right)=(0,0)\)

So, given that the major axis is perpendicular to the minor axis at the center, can you give the coordinates of the vertices?

but the thing is the vertices are already given (0,-3) and (0,3) that's why I am so confused , I think it might be the vertical kind of ellips with an equation like x^2/b^2 +y^2/a^2=1 but I have no clue what to sub in.

JakeyTheIdiot said:
but the thing is the vertices are already given (0,-3) and (0,3) that's why I am so confused , I think it might be the vertical kind of ellips with an equation like x^2/b^2 +y^2/a^2=1 but I have no clue what to sub in.

We were given the co-vertices...the end-points of the shorter axis (it has length 6). We want to find the end-points now of the major axis (the longer axis, having length 10), which are called the vertices. :D

MarkFL said:
We were given the co-vertices...the end-points of the shorter axis (it has length 6). We want to find the end-points now of the major axis (the longer axis, having length 10), which are called the vertices. :D

Ohhh I see a^2 = 6 so the vertices are (0,-6) and (0,6)

JakeyTheIdiot said:
Ohhh I see a^2 = 6 so the vertices are (0,-6) and (0,6)

No, the slope of the minor axis is:

\(\displaystyle m=\frac{-3-3}{0-0}=\text{undefined}\)

It is a vertical line, so the major axis must be horizontal, and since it must pass through the center, which we determined is the origin, the major axis must therefore lie along the $x$-axis.

So, we may say the vertices are at:

\(\displaystyle (\pm v,0)\) where $0<v$

Now, we require the distance between these vertices to be 10 units, so we may write:

\(\displaystyle 10=v-(-v)=2v\implies v=5\)

Hence, the vertices are at:

\(\displaystyle (\pm5,0)\)

So, what must $a$ and $b$ be?

MarkFL said:
No, the slope of the minor axis is:

\(\displaystyle m=\frac{-3-3}{0-0}=\text{undefined}\)

It is a vertical line, so the major axis must be horizontal, and since it must pass through the center, which we determined is the origin, the major axis must therefore lie along the $x$-axis.

So, we may say the vertices are at:

\(\displaystyle (\pm v,0)\) where $0<v$

Now, we require the distance between these vertices to be 10 units, so we may write:

\(\displaystyle 10=v-(-v)=2v\implies v=5\)

Hence, the vertices are at:

\(\displaystyle (\pm5,0)\)

So, what must $a$ and $b$ be?

wait so does that mean a^2 is the minor axis squared so itd be 36? I`m not sure but I think so

We know that since the center of the ellipse is at the origin, then the equation of the ellipse will have the form:

\(\displaystyle \frac{x^2}{a^2}+\frac{y^2}{b^2}=1\)

Now, when $x=0$, we then have:

\(\displaystyle \frac{y^2}{b^2}=1\)

\(\displaystyle y^2=b^2\implies y=\pm b\)

What two points on the ellipse were we given with $x=0$?

1. How do I write an ellipse in standard form?

To write an ellipse in standard form, you need to follow the equation:
(x - h)^2 / a^2 + (y - k)^2 / b^2 = 1
where (h,k) is the center of the ellipse and a and b are the lengths of the semi-major and semi-minor axes, respectively. If the ellipse is horizontal, a is the denominator of the x-term and b is the denominator of the y-term. If the ellipse is vertical, a is the denominator of the y-term and b is the denominator of the x-term.

2. What is the difference between an ellipse and a circle?

An ellipse is a stretched or compressed circle, where the distance from the center to any point on the ellipse varies. A circle has a constant distance from the center to any point on the circle.

3. Can an ellipse have a negative radius?

No, an ellipse cannot have a negative radius. The lengths of the semi-major and semi-minor axes, a and b, are always positive. If you encounter a negative value when solving for a or b, it means there is no real solution for the ellipse.

4. How do I graph an ellipse in standard form?

To graph an ellipse in standard form, you can use the center point (h,k) as the center of the graph and the values of a and b to determine the length of the semi-major and semi-minor axes. Plot points on the graph using the equation (x - h)^2 / a^2 + (y - k)^2 / b^2 = 1 and connect the points to form the ellipse.

5. Can you provide an example of writing an ellipse in standard form?

Yes, an example of writing an ellipse in standard form is:
(x + 2)^2 / 16 + (y - 3)^2 / 9 = 1
This ellipse has a center at (-2,3) and a semi-major axis length of 4 and a semi-minor axis length of 3.