Corner Reflector: Find Max Angle for Total Reflection

• Thread starter jiten827
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reflector
In summary: So if theta is increased by a whole number then the second reflection angle will also increase by a whole number.
jiten827
[SOLVED] Corner Reflector

Homework Statement

A corner reflector is to be made from a triangular prism with index of refraction n = 1.86, as shown in the diagram below. What is the maximum angle, with respect to the normal to the front surface of the prism, θ, such that total reflection will occur?

Homework Equations

[tex]n_{air}sin\theta_1 = n_{prism}sin\theta_2[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried doing
[tex] 1 * sin\theta_1 = 1.86 * sin\ 90[/tex]

solving for [tex] \theta_1 [/tex] gives arcsin (1.86) which is undefined.

Any help appreciated

Here is the graphic for the problem

Attachments

• prob02.gif
    prob02.gif
    962 bytes · Views: 550
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think the limiting effect is the second inner reflection. As I recall total reflection occurs when the angle of refraction passes the point where one of the rays must be parallel to the surface.

In your attempt you have I believe the wrong angle set at 90deg. In the inner reflection the angle of the "refracted" beam outside the back of the prism will be 90deg in the limiting case. Thence you get minimum inner angle of arcsin(1/1.86). Any smaller angle will not reflect but refract with the beam in air less than 90deg from normal.

You'll still have to take this minimum inner angle for second reflection and determine the maximum angle at which the beam enters the prism using geometry inside and the index of refraction for the initial refraction.

Last edited:
Could you expand on the last part, I'm still not getting it

jiten827 said:
Could you expand on the last part, I'm still not getting it

Sure.
Case 1: The light enters the prism 0deg from normal. It hits one back pane at 45deg reflects, hits the other back pane at 45deg reflects then leaves the prism.

Case 2: The light enters the prism at 10deg from normal. It refracts to something less than 10deg normal to first surface. Let's just say 9deg.

It then hits the first back pane at 45+9=54 deg, reflects and hits the second back face at 45-9 = 36deg. If this is less than the minimum angle I mentioned then it will not reflect 100% but rather the light will pass through the back surface.

You must figure this second angle in terms of the original angle of entry, theta. The bigger the value of theta the smaller this second reflections angle from normal.

1. What is a corner reflector?

A corner reflector is a type of optical device that is designed to reflect light or other electromagnetic radiation back to its source. It is made up of three flat reflective surfaces that meet at a corner, and is often used in radar and other sensing applications.

2. How does a corner reflector work?

A corner reflector works by reflecting incoming light or radiation back to its source. This is achieved through multiple internal reflections within the device, resulting in a strong return signal that can be detected by the source.

3. What is the maximum angle for total reflection in a corner reflector?

The maximum angle for total reflection in a corner reflector is 180 degrees, or a complete 180-degree turn. This means that the incoming light or radiation will be reflected back in the exact same direction that it came from.

4. What factors affect the maximum angle for total reflection in a corner reflector?

The maximum angle for total reflection in a corner reflector can be affected by the size and shape of the reflector, the type of material used, and the wavelength of the incoming radiation. Additionally, the angles between the reflective surfaces and the incoming radiation can also impact the maximum angle for total reflection.

5. How is a corner reflector used in real-world applications?

Corner reflectors have a variety of uses in real-world applications. They are commonly used in radar systems for navigation, target detection, and measurement. They are also used in satellite communication and remote sensing technologies. Additionally, they have applications in optics, such as in telescopes and laser reflectors.