Please verify my solution (Electric field cylinder)

In summary, an electric field is a vector field created by electric charges that influences the movement of other charges. It can be calculated for a cylinder using the formula E = λ/2πεr and is measured in units of volts per meter (V/m). The electric field can be zero inside a cylinder if there is no charge or if the charge is evenly distributed. As distance from the cylinder increases, the electric field decreases due to its inverse relationship with distance.
phyundergradhw

Homework Statement

Finding the electric field outside of a uniformly charged solid cylinder, of length L and radius R, at any point of its axis.

Homework Equations

[tex]\displaystyle{ \vec{E} = \frac{1}{4 \pi \varepsilon_0} \int \rho(r') \frac{(\vec{r} - \vec{r'})}{\left| \vec{r} - \vec{r'} \right|^3} d^3 r' }[/tex]

[tex]\rho(r') = \rho_0 [/tex]

[tex]\vec{r} = x\hat{i} + y\hat{j} + z\hat{k} [/tex]

[tex]\vec{r'} = x'\hat{i} + y'\hat{j} + z'\hat{k} [/tex]

[tex]d^3 r' = r' dr' d\theta' dz' [/tex]

[tex]x' = r' cos \theta' [/tex]

[tex]y' = r' sin \theta' [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Solving for a point P(0,0,z) outside of the cylinder, thus z > L/2 (assuming half of the cylinder is on the positive z-axis and the other half at the negative z-axis)

[tex]\displaystyle{ \vec{E} = \frac{1}{4 \pi \varepsilon_0} \rho_0 \int \frac{ (-x'\hat{i} - y'\hat{j} + (z-z')\hat{k} ) }{ (x'^2 + y'^2 + (z-z')^2 )^\frac{3}{2} } d^3 r' }[/tex]

Since it's obvious from the symmetry of the problem that the electric field must be parallel to the z-axis (as the cosine and sine in the integrals will yield 0), then

[tex]\displaystyle{ \vec{E} = \frac{1}{4 \pi \varepsilon_0} \rho_0 \int \frac{ (z-z')\hat{k} }{ (r'^2 + (z-z')^2 )^\frac{3}{2} } r' dr' d\theta' dz' }[/tex]

[tex]\displaystyle{ \vec{E} = \frac{1}{4 \pi \varepsilon_0} \rho_0 \hat{k} \int_{\frac{-L}{2}}^{\frac{L}{2}} \left( \int_{0}^{R} \frac{ (z-z')r' dr' }{ (r'^2 + (z-z')^2 )^\frac{3}{2} } \right) dz' \int_{0}^{2\pi} d\theta' }[/tex]

Using u = r'² + (z-z')² and r'dr' = (1/2) du and evaluating the limits, the integral between parentheses will yield

[tex]\displaystyle{ \vec{E} = \frac{2\pi}{4 \pi \varepsilon_0} \rho_0 \hat{k} \int_{\frac{-L}{2}}^{\frac{L}{2}} \left( \frac{(z-z')}{|z-z'|} - \frac{(z-z')}{\sqrt{R^2 + (z-z')^2 } } \right) dz' }[/tex]

As aforementioned, since P(0,0,z) is outside the cylinder, z > z' and thus the absolute value will be positive then

[tex]\displaystyle{ \vec{E} = \frac{2\pi}{4 \pi \varepsilon_0} \rho_0 \hat{k} \int_{\frac{-L}{2}}^{\frac{L}{2}} \left( 1 - \frac{(z-z')}{\sqrt{R^2 + (z-z')^2 } } \right) dz' }[/tex]

Using, for the first integral, the formula

[tex]\displaystyle{ \int \frac{dx}{\sqrt{a^2 + x^2}} = ln (\sqrt{a^2 + x^2} + x) + C } [/tex]

And for the second integral the substitution u = R² + (z-z')², (1/2) du = (z-z') dz', finally leads to

[tex] \vec{E} = \frac{\rho_0}{2 \varepsilon_0} \left( ln \left( \frac{\sqrt{R^2 + (z+\frac{L}{2})^2 } + (z+\frac{L}{2} )}{\sqrt{R^2 + (z-\frac{L}{2})^2 } + (z-\frac{L}{2} )} \right ) +\sqrt{R^2 + (z-\frac{L}{2})^2} - \sqrt{R^2 + (z+\frac{L}{2})^2 } \right) \hat{k}[/tex]

Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
phyundergradhw said:
[tex]\displaystyle{ \vec{E} = \frac{2\pi}{4 \pi \varepsilon_0} \rho_0 \hat{k} \int_{\frac{-L}{2}}^{\frac{L}{2}} \left( 1 - \frac{(z-z')}{\sqrt{R^2 + (z-z')^2 } } \right) dz' }[/tex]

Using, for the first integral, the formula

[tex]\displaystyle{ \int \frac{dx}{\sqrt{a^2 + x^2}} = ln (\sqrt{a^2 + x^2} + x) + C } [/tex]
I'm not following. The 'first' integral appears to be [tex]\displaystyle{ \int_{\frac{-L}{2}}^{\frac{L}{2}} \left( 1 \right) dz' }[/tex].
Certainly the log term in the final equation is dimensionally wrong. Each term should have dimension of length.
A useful check is to see what happens as z tends to infinity. Your integral correctly produces ##\frac{R^2L}{z^2}##.

haruspex said:
I'm not following. The 'first' integral appears to be [tex]\displaystyle{ \int_{\frac{-L}{2}}^{\frac{L}{2}} \left( 1 \right) dz' }[/tex].
Certainly the log term in the final equation is dimensionally wrong. Each term should have dimension of length.
A useful check is to see what happens as z tends to infinity. Your integral correctly produces ##\frac{R^2L}{z^2}##.

Oops! You're right, I got confused with the first integral, but is the second integral correct, because I'm not getting ##\frac{R^2L}{z^2}##

[tex]\displaystyle{ \vec{E} = \frac{2\pi}{4 \pi \varepsilon_0} \rho_0 \hat{k} \int_{\frac{-L}{2}}^{\frac{L}{2}} dz' - \frac{2\pi}{4 \pi \varepsilon_0} \rho_0 \hat{k} \int_{\frac{-L}{2}}^{\frac{L}{2}} \frac{(z-z')}{\sqrt{R^2 + (z-z')^2 } } dz' } [/tex]

[tex]u = R^2 + (z-z')^2, du = -2(z-z')dz' [/tex]

[tex]\displaystyle{ \vec{E} = \frac{2\pi L}{4 \pi \varepsilon_0} \rho_0 \hat{k} + \frac{2\pi}{4 \pi \varepsilon_0} \rho_0 \hat{k} \int_{R^2 + (z+\frac{L}{2})^2}^{R^2 + (z-\frac{L}{2})^2} \frac{u^{-\frac{1}{2}}}{2du} } [/tex]

[tex]\displaystyle{ \vec{E} = \frac{2\pi }{4 \pi \varepsilon_0} \rho_0 \hat{k} \left( L + \sqrt{R^2 + \left( z - \frac{L}{2}\right)^2 } - \sqrt{R^2 + \left( z + \frac{L}{2}\right)^2 } \right) } [/tex]

phyundergradhw said:
is the second integral correct, because I'm not getting ##\frac{R^2L}{z^2}##
I didn't say you should get that as the answer. I said that should be the asymptotic form as z tends to infinity.
It's a non-trivial exercise to check that, but it looks to me that it comes out right.

haruspex said:
I didn't say you should get that as the answer. I said that should be the asymptotic form as z tends to infinity.
It's a non-trivial exercise to check that, but it looks to me that it comes out right.

Oh ok. thank you for the help!

1. What is the definition of an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the influence that electric charges have on each other. It is a vector field, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, and is created by electric charges.

2. How is the electric field calculated for a cylinder?

The electric field for a cylinder can be calculated using the formula E = λ/2πεr, where λ is the linear charge density, ε is the permittivity of the medium, and r is the distance from the center of the cylinder.

3. What units is the electric field measured in?

The electric field is measured in units of volts per meter (V/m) in the SI system of units. In other systems, it can also be measured in newtons per coulomb (N/C) or electronvolts per meter (eV/m).

4. Can the electric field inside a cylinder ever be zero?

Yes, the electric field inside a cylinder can be zero if the cylinder has no charge or if the charge is evenly distributed along its surface. In this case, the electric field inside the cylinder would be cancelled out by the electric field from the opposite side of the cylinder.

5. How does the electric field change as you move further away from the cylinder?

The electric field decreases as you move further away from the cylinder. This is because the electric field is inversely proportional to the distance from the source, so as the distance increases, the electric field becomes weaker.