Plot a photon on a space-time diagram

In summary: If we don't know the displacement of the photon, we can calculate the relationship between ct and ct' and another one for x and x', isn't it?
pepediaz
Homework Statement
If a spaceship travelling at 0.866c throws a photon towards the Earth, plot the space-time diagram of the photon, in Earth frame and in photon's frame.
Relevant Equations
none
I think that if we plot an inertial frame in the XY axis separated 90º, the photon, which has a velocity of c, should be put on one of the branches of the light cone. The questions are:

Which branch, left or right one?
Which position along the branch, if I don't know the distance it has travelled?
The time in the inertial frame is greater than the time on the photon's reference system? (I suppose so)

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
pepediaz said:
plot an inertial frame in the XY axis
I have difficulty understanding what you say here ? Usually, only one space coordinate is plotted, on the horizontal axis. The vertical axis is for ##ct##. Thus you get a space-time diagram - or a Minkowski diagram

pepediaz said:
on the photon's reference system
Does not exist

Likes pepediaz
Yes, I meant Minkowski diagram, I have said XY so convinced.

But we should plot the photon on an inertial frame, and also on the reference system on which the photon is at rest, isn't it? Or else, is it possible to plot a photon on Minkowski diagram?

pepediaz said:
The time in the inertial frame is greater than the time on the photon's reference system? (I suppose so)
The photon's reference frame? Is that the frame in which the photon is, ahem, at rest?

Yes

I rest my case.

Okay, there is some mistake there.
But I wanted to differentiate the inertial frame of the Earth (receiving a photon) and the frame which has proper time.

pepediaz said:
Okay, there is some mistake there.
But I wanted to differentiate the inertial frame of the Earth (receiving a photon) and the frame which has proper time.
If you compare the frequency of the photon received on Earth with the frequency at the source, you will know the relative velocity of source and Earth. The time as measured on the source frame would be the proper time. Does that make sense?

Likes pepediaz
that's what I don't grasp. Photons travel at constant speed c, and the spaceship travels at 0.866c, so the photon should have its ct and x-axis at a slope of arctg(0.866) each, or it is placed on the light cone in Minkowski diagram?

pepediaz said:
that's what I don't grasp. Photons travel at constant speed c, and the spaceship travels at 0.866c, so the photon should have its ct and x-axis at a slope of arctg(0.866) each, or it is placed on the light cone in Minkowski diagram?
No. For a photon ##ct=x## and that's a straight line at 45o on a ct cs. x diagram. The spaceship line would be between the ct axis and the x-axis at whatever angle is appropriate.

Likes pepediaz
pepediaz said:
What spaceship ? Are you feeding us your complete exercise problem statement in small bits ?

Read on in the link I gave, especially this part

kuruman said:
No. For a photon ##ct=x## and that's a straight line at 45o on a ct cs. x diagram. The spaceship line would be between the ct axis and the x-axis at whatever angle is appropriate.
Nice, so for plotting a photon whose displacement I don't know, it's just a random point on the straight line at 45o on a ct cs. x diagram, isn't it?

BvU said:
What spaceship ? Are you feeding us your complete exercise problem statement in small bits ?

Read on in the link I gave, especially this part
It wasn't my intention, the full statement is really long, with details which aren't related with this small problem. I haven't included the info about the spaceship, because I thought it is unnecessary for the photon motion, anyway I'll improve the statement, if I don't know how to solve it, I'm the last person to skip details.

pepediaz said:
Nice, so for plotting a photon whose displacement I don't know, it's just a random point on the straight line at 45o on a ct cs. x diagram, isn't it?
I don't like the use of "random" here. Say you draw a line parallel to the x-axis at some finite time t. This will intersect the spaceship line and the photon line. The x-coordinates of the intersection points denote the position of the spaceship and the position of a photon that was emitted by the blastoff gases (more or less.)

I get you, so, if we don't know the displacement of the photon (atmosphere thickness + some distance up to the spaceship when it was at the shortest distance to the Earth), we just can obtain a relationship between ct and ct' and another one for x and x', isn't it?

1. What is a space-time diagram?

A space-time diagram is a graphical representation of the relationship between space and time. It is often used in physics to visualize the motion of objects and events in the context of special relativity.

2. How do you plot a photon on a space-time diagram?

To plot a photon on a space-time diagram, you first need to determine the coordinates of the photon in both space and time. Then, using the speed of light as a constant, you can draw a straight line on the diagram connecting the coordinates. This line represents the path of the photon through space and time.

3. What is the significance of plotting a photon on a space-time diagram?

Plotting a photon on a space-time diagram allows us to visualize the behavior of light in the context of special relativity. It helps us understand concepts such as time dilation and length contraction, and provides a graphical representation of the relationship between space and time.

4. Can a photon be plotted on a space-time diagram in a vacuum?

Yes, a photon can be plotted on a space-time diagram in a vacuum. In fact, a vacuum is the most common medium in which photons travel, as they do not require a medium to propagate through.

5. Are there any limitations to plotting a photon on a space-time diagram?

There are a few limitations to plotting a photon on a space-time diagram. One limitation is that the diagram only shows the path of the photon, and does not provide information about its energy or frequency. Additionally, the diagram assumes a flat, two-dimensional space, which may not accurately represent the curved nature of space-time in certain situations.