Plot the position of the particle x=Acosbt

In summary: Thank you for pointing that out.In summary, the position of a particle as a function of time is given by x=Acosbt, where A and b are constants. The first question requires plotting the particle's position over the time interval (0,7) seconds. The second question asks for the time at which the particle passes the origin and its velocity and acceleration at that time. The third question asks for the time at which the particle reaches maximum distance from the origin and its acceleration and velocity at that instant. Given the variables A=2.0m and b=1.0 radians/second, the solution involves plugging in different values of time (t) from 0 to 7 seconds into the equation x=2
astroman707

Homework Statement

The position of a particle as a function of time is given by x=Acosbt, where A and b are constants. The first question asks to roughly plot the position of the particle over the time interval (0,7) seconds.
The second asks what time the particle passes the origin, and what it's velocity and acceleration are at that time.
The third asks what time the particle reaches maximum distance from the origin, and what it's acceleration and velocity are at that instant.
Variables given: A=2.0m, b=1.0 radians/second

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I got stuck in the very beginning and couldn't continue. I tried to plug in the values for the constants A and b, but upon doing so I find that I end up with cos(7 radians). I don't know how to calculate the value of cosine when I have no reference of how long one radian is.

Physics news on Phys.org
If b = 1 rad/s, then you have to plot 2.0(m) cos(t) where t is in seconds. Put in different values of t from 0 to 7 s and see what you get. The answer will be in meters.

On edit: Be sure to set your calculator to "radians". Radian is not a unit of time. It is dimensionless.

kuruman said:
If b = 1 rad/s, then you have to plot 2.0(m) cos(t) where t is in seconds. Put in different values of t from 0 to 7 s and see what you get. The answer will be in meters.

Dimensionally, a cosine of a number of seconds does not exist. If you say, instead, that the time is ##t## seconds (so ##t## is |dimensionless), then ##cos(t)## is perfectly well-defined. (What may be a bit hard for the OP to grasp is that angles in "radians" are dimensionless---essentially because they are ratios of two lengths.)

Ray Vickson said:
Dimensionally, a cosine of a number of seconds does not exist. If you say, instead, that the time is ##t## seconds (so ##t## is |dimensionless), then ##cos(t)## is perfectly well-defined. (What may be a bit hard for the OP to grasp is that angles in "radians" are dimensionless---essentially because they are ratios of two lengths.)
Yes, it would be less confusing if I wrote ##\cos[1(rad/s)\times t(s)]## instead.

1. What is the equation for "Plot the position of the particle x=Acosbt"?

The equation is x = A cos(bt), where A is the amplitude of the particle's oscillation and b is the frequency of oscillation.

2. How does the value of A affect the position of the particle?

The value of A affects the amplitude of the particle's oscillation, meaning it determines how far the particle will move away from its equilibrium position.

3. What does the value of b represent in the equation?

The value of b represents the frequency of the particle's oscillation, which is the number of oscillations per unit time.

4. How does the position of the particle change over time?

The position of the particle will change over time according to the cosine function, meaning it will oscillate between its maximum and minimum positions.

5. Can this equation be used to describe any type of motion?

No, this equation can only be used to describe the motion of a simple harmonic oscillator, where the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement from equilibrium.