Plotting normal modes in Matlab from data in Patran

In summary: Expert summarizer.In summary, Yan is seeking help with reproducing normal mode results from Patran in Matlab. They have tried using cubic interpolation and have provided a link to the data they are using. The expert suggests checking for the correct data and units, experimenting with different interpolation methods, and visualizing the data in different ways. They offer to provide further assistance if needed.
Yanek
Hi,

Could You help me with problem mentioned in the topic? I copied translational data (3 column vectors) from modal analysis in Patran (from f06 file). Now I have problem in reproducing the results in Matlab. I am trying to draw normal modes in Matlab, but I haven't got much luck so far.

I would appreciate if you could help me and/or give me some ideas concerning this problem.

All best regards,
Yan

Edit:
As far I accomplished something like that
6qv5s8.png

I created mesh in Matlab with the same xy dimensions as the analyzed object in Abaqus and copied amplitudes vector , then reshaped it to size compatible with mesh. But the results... don't look good

Edit2:
Another update. Link to data I used http://pastebin.com/mLCHKn6R (second column - don't know what to do with rest).
Code I used in Matlab:
(s is data imported from aforementioned .txt file)

z=s(:,2);zz=reshape(z,11,13);
x= 0:10:120;y=0:10:100;[X,Y]=meshgrid(x,y);
y1=(0:1:100);x1=(0:1:120);
y1=y1';
zz2=interp2(X,Y,zz,x1,y1,'cubic');
[xx1,yy1]=meshgrid(x1,y1);
surf(xx1,yy1,zz2)

Result obtained after cubic interpolation:
18908244-holder-477a2ab437815134c021346d22ad9d5c.jpg

Although the plot looks way better than before, the shape is complety different.
Could You help me find out what I am doing wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello Yan,

Thank you for reaching out with your question. It seems like you are having trouble reproducing the normal mode results from Patran in Matlab. Here are a few suggestions that may help you with your problem:

1. Make sure you are using the correct data from the f06 file. Sometimes, there can be multiple sets of translational data in the file, so make sure you are using the correct one for your analysis.

2. Double check the units of the data you are using. It is important to make sure that the units are consistent throughout your analysis, otherwise your results may not be accurate.

3. It looks like you are using cubic interpolation in your code. Have you tried using other interpolation methods, such as linear or nearest neighbor? Different interpolation methods may give you different results, so it's worth experimenting with them.

4. It may also be helpful to visualize your data in a different way, such as plotting it as a contour or using a different type of 3D plot. This can give you a better understanding of the data and help you identify any potential errors.

I hope these suggestions help you with your problem. If you continue to have trouble, please feel free to provide more information or data so I can assist you further. Best of luck with your analysis!

1. How do I import data from Patran into Matlab for plotting normal modes?

In order to import data from Patran into Matlab, you will need to export the data as a text file in a format that can be read by Matlab, such as a .csv file. Once you have the file, you can use the "readtable" function in Matlab to read the data into a table format.

2. What is the format of the data needed for plotting normal modes in Matlab?

The data needed for plotting normal modes in Matlab should be in a table format, with each column representing a different mode and each row representing a different degree of freedom. The first column should contain the node numbers and the remaining columns should contain the corresponding mode shapes.

3. How can I plot multiple normal modes in one graph using Matlab?

To plot multiple normal modes in one graph, you can use the "plot" function in Matlab. Simply specify the x-axis as the node numbers and the y-axis as the mode shape data for each mode. You can also use the "hold on" command to plot multiple lines on the same graph.

4. Can I customize the plot of normal modes in Matlab?

Yes, you can customize the plot of normal modes in Matlab by using various formatting options such as changing the line color, style, and thickness, adding axis labels and titles, and adjusting the axis limits. You can also use the "legend" function to label each mode on the plot.

5. How can I save the plot of normal modes in Matlab as an image or a file?

To save the plot of normal modes in Matlab, you can use the "saveas" function. This will allow you to save the plot as an image file or a specific file type such as .fig or .pdf. You can also use the "print" function to save the plot in a specific size and resolution.