Plotting number of halos per logarithmic bin

In summary, The conversation is about playing data from the Illustris simulation and trying to plot the number of halos per logarithmic mass bin. The person speaking is only familiar with theoretical models and is asking for help on how to plot actual data. They provide some resources that may be helpful.
allazar
Hello all,.

I'm right now playing the publicly released data from the Illustris simulation.
Im trying to plot the number of halos per logarithmic mass bin or the number of halos between mass M and M+dM

I'm only familiar using theoretical models like Press-Schecter and I have no idea how do begin plotting actual data. Any idea how I should go about this? I'd appreciate any help I get.

Thank you.

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of plotting the number of halos per logarithmic bin?

The purpose of plotting the number of halos per logarithmic bin is to visualize the distribution of halos in a dataset. By using logarithmic bins, the plot can better represent the range of halos present in the data, as opposed to using linear bins which may skew the distribution.

2. How is the number of halos per logarithmic bin calculated?

The number of halos per logarithmic bin is calculated by dividing the total number of halos in a dataset by the number of bins used. This value is then plotted on a logarithmic scale to better represent the distribution of halos.

3. What is the significance of using logarithmic bins in this plot?

The use of logarithmic bins allows for a more accurate representation of the distribution of halos. This is because the number of halos per bin is not equally spaced, but rather exponentially increasing. This is especially helpful when dealing with a wide range of halo sizes in the data.

4. Can this type of plot be used for other types of data?

Yes, this type of plot can be used for other types of data that follow an exponential distribution. It is commonly used in astronomy, but can also be applied to other fields such as genetics or finance.

5. How can the information from this plot be interpreted?

The plot of number of halos per logarithmic bin can provide insight into the distribution of halos in a dataset. It can show if there are any clusters or gaps in the data and can also help identify the most abundant and rarest halos. Additionally, changes in the slope of the plot can indicate changes in the underlying physical processes that produce halos.