Plumber's Putty is a Hoax By Big Plumbing to sell more Plumb

• Plumbing
  • Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
In summary, the author tried to replace the drain in their new house, but it kept leaking. They think the design is bad or archaic and plan to try silicon sealant.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
No seriously, plumber's putty DOES NOT WORK.
This is the second time in a month I've tried to replace a drain. First, the shower drain in my old house, and now the kitchen sink drain in my new house. They just leak like a sieve.

The shower is acrylic. The sink is sheet stainless steel.

As instructed, I put a bead of putty down around the perimeter about a 1/2" from the drain hole, then put the drain in and tighten the nut from below. No matter how much or how little putty I use, no matter how much or how little I torque the nut on, it leaks.

I don't know how it can not leak. It is inevitable - the pan of the shower and the pan of the sink are slightly flexible. Any weight will distort the pan and break the seal.

This is bad design. Or at least archaic. Going to try silicon seal. If that fails I'm bowing to The Man and calling a plumber.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't have acrylic components, but the few times I've done it (cast iron bathtub & porcelain bathroom sink), I used 100% silicon caulk without issue. My friend used to paint bathtubs professionally and always used 100% silicon caulk to reinstall the drain.

• Informative
Likes sophiecentaur, DaveC426913 and berkeman
I’ve installed 7 sinks using putty without a single leak over the span of 35 years, but they’ve been ceramic and cast iron/porcelain so maybe your flimsy sheet metal sink is to blame.

Plastic shower pans are suppposed to ve installed over wet concrete or mortar for support. As a trick, you can put the wet concrete inside a black garbage bag so the pan can be removed one day without destroying the subfloor. The pan in my home is solid as a rock—literally.

• Informative
Likes DaveC426913, berkeman, nsaspook and 2 others
I guess its better to call an expert that can plumb the depths of the problem and not putty around it.

Its also a good to time close this thread before the plumbers union comes looking for our leaks.

• Haha
Likes Wrichik Basu, nsaspook, BillTre and 2 others

1. What is the claim that "Plumber's Putty is a Hoax By Big Plumbing to Sell More Plumb" about?

This claim suggests that plumber's putty, a common sealing compound used in plumbing projects, is actually unnecessary and marketed aggressively by large plumbing companies to increase sales and profits. The accusation implies that the effectiveness and necessity of plumber's putty are overstated by these companies.

2. Is there any truth to plumber's putty being a hoax?

There is no substantial evidence to support the claim that plumber's putty is a hoax. Plumber's putty has been used effectively for many years to seal joints and prevent leaks in plumbing fixtures. Its continued use by professionals in the field supports its utility and effectiveness.

3. Why would companies promote plumber's putty if it were unnecessary?

The theoretical basis for this claim would be that promoting plumber's putty, even if unnecessary, could potentially increase sales of the product and related plumbing services. However, this notion is speculative and not grounded in verified facts. Plumbing professionals use plumber's putty because it serves a practical and essential purpose in many plumbing applications.

4. What are the actual uses of plumber's putty?

Plumber's putty is primarily used as a sealing agent. It is applied to the bases of faucets, drains, and other plumbing components to ensure a watertight seal. This prevents water from leaking at the joint between fixtures and countertops or other surfaces, which is crucial for maintaining the integrity and functionality of plumbing systems.

5. How can consumers verify the necessity of plumber's putty in their plumbing projects?

Consumers can consult with licensed and experienced plumbing professionals to understand when and why plumber's putty is used. Additionally, researching reputable plumbing resources or DIY guides can provide further insights into the applications and benefits of using plumber's putty in specific plumbing scenarios.

Back