Pneumatic safety valve question

In summary, the conversation discusses the development of a machine with a horizontally mounted cylindrical drum and a front-mounted, top-opening pneumatically actuated door. The issue at hand is the potential for the door to crash down if the air supply to the cylinder is disrupted. Solutions such as using a 5/3 Direction Control Valve and pilot operated NRVs have been tried, but have not been effective. The possibility of using mechanical stoppers is mentioned but is seen as a last resort. Suggestions include flow limiting the down stroke, using a counterweight system, installing an air braking system, and using an auxiliary cylinder or screw to latch the main cylinder in the up position. Another option is to open the door sideways.
kunalv
I am developing a machine which consists of a horizontally mounted cylindrical drum, where the door is front mounted, top opening pneumatically actuated (Picture enclosed).
IMG-20160719-WA0014.jpg

The door is lifted up by the pneumatic cylinder.

Now there is an obvious possibility of the door crashing down if the air supply to the cylinder is somehow disrupted. I have tried using a 5/3 Direction Control Valve & Pilot operated NRVs on the cylinder, but these do not help.

I want to stop the exhaust of air from the cylinder if, for eg, one of the air pipes from either port on the cylinder, comes off. So the cylinder should stop where it is.

Provision of mechanical stoppers is always a possibility. But I would like to leave it as a last resort.

Any help would be great.

Engineering news on Phys.org
How about flow limiting the down stroke so even if the air supply is disrupted, the door drops down slowly?

Likes bsheikho
Does the cylinder have to do all the lifting ? Isn't there a counterweight system ?
Perhaps you can install an air braking system that is pressurized from the working end of the cylinder and brakes when the pressure falls away (as with trucks, trains and elevators).

Likes bsheikho
I am with BvU. Counterweight it to hold it open and use the cylinder to hold it closed if that is safe (i.e. the cylinder does not spin and need to hold contents in).

If that is not feasible then a gas strut to slow closure plus an alarm for low pressure would probably be sufficient to make it safe.

Likes bsheikho
(1) Auxilliary cylinder to latch main cylinder in up position . Latch is spring loaded or otherwise self acting and has to be deliberately pressurised to unlatch .

(2) Use a screw instead .

(3) Open door sideways .

Likes BvU

1. What is a pneumatic safety valve?

A pneumatic safety valve is a type of valve that is used to control and release excess pressure in a pneumatic system. It is designed to protect the system and its components from damage or failure due to overpressure.

2. How does a pneumatic safety valve work?

A pneumatic safety valve works by using a spring-loaded mechanism to keep the valve closed until the pressure in the system reaches a certain level. Once the pressure exceeds this level, the valve opens and releases the excess pressure to prevent damage to the system.

3. What are the different types of pneumatic safety valves?

There are several types of pneumatic safety valves, including relief valves, safety valves, and pressure reducing valves. Relief valves are typically used in systems where pressure can fluctuate, while safety valves are used in systems where pressure is consistently high. Pressure reducing valves are used to reduce the pressure in a system to a safe level.

4. How do I choose the right pneumatic safety valve for my system?

Choosing the right pneumatic safety valve depends on several factors, including the type of pneumatic system, the maximum pressure it can handle, and the required flow rate. It is important to consult with a professional or refer to the system's specifications to determine the appropriate valve for your system.

5. How often should pneumatic safety valves be inspected and maintained?

Pneumatic safety valves should be inspected and maintained regularly to ensure they are functioning properly. The frequency of inspections and maintenance will depend on the specific valve and system, but it is generally recommended to inspect and test the valve at least once a year. It is also important to follow the manufacturer's guidelines for maintenance and replacement of parts as needed.