Point charge induced current on a conducting ring

In summary, the conversation discusses a conducting copper ring with inner radius a and outer radius b, through which point charges Q pass for time dt. The person is trying to determine the equation for the induced current on the ring and the placement of contacts to measure the current. They also inquire about where the other contact should go for an electrical circuit and if a current is expected to flow around the ring. A sketch is also attached for reference.
Caltechian
Hello,
I have a conducting copper ring of inner radius a and outer radius b.
point charges Q pass through the centre of this ring for time dt.
so I guess I'm suppose to get a step function of induced current or something similar.

1)what is the equation relating the charge Q to the induced current on the ring?
2)where should I place the contacts to measure the induced current (inner radius / middle/ outer radius of the ring)?
3)one of the contacts is placed on the ring and goes to the electro-meter, where does the other contact go to get an electrical circuit? grounded?
thank you,

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not finding help at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us?

Caltechian said:
Hello,
I have a conducting copper ring of inner radius a and outer radius b.
point charges Q pass through the centre of this ring for time dt.
so I guess I'm suppose to get a step function of induced current or something similar.

1)what is the equation relating the charge Q to the induced current on the ring?
2)where should I place the contacts to measure the induced current (inner radius / middle/ outer radius of the ring)?
3)one of the contacts is placed on the ring and goes to the electro-meter, where does the other contact go to get an electrical circuit? grounded?
thank you,

sketch attached.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 359
Do you imagine that a current is induced to flow around the ring, or what?

Hello,

1) The equation relating the charge Q to the induced current on the ring is given by Faraday's Law of Induction:
EMF = -NΔϕ/Δt, where EMF is the electromotive force (voltage), N is the number of turns in the ring, Δϕ is the change in magnetic flux through the ring, and Δt is the time interval. This can also be written as V = -L(dI/dt), where V is the induced voltage, L is the inductance of the ring, and dI/dt is the rate of change of current.

2) To measure the induced current, the contacts should be placed on the outer radius of the ring. This is because the induced current will flow on the surface of the ring, and placing the contacts on the outer radius will allow for more accurate measurement of the current.

3) The other contact can be connected to any point in the electrical circuit, as long as it completes the circuit. This can include grounding the other contact, connecting it to a battery, or connecting it to another component in the circuit. The specific placement of the other contact will depend on the specific circuit setup and the desired measurements.

I hope this helps clarify the relationship between point charges, induced current, and the conducting ring. Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is point charge induced current on a conducting ring?

Point charge induced current on a conducting ring refers to the flow of electric current that is induced in a conducting ring when a point charge is brought near it. This phenomenon is a result of the interaction between the electric field of the point charge and the charges in the conducting ring.

2. How is the direction of the induced current determined?

The direction of the induced current is determined by the right-hand rule. If the point charge is moving towards the ring, the induced current will flow in the opposite direction of the point charge's velocity. If the point charge is stationary, the induced current will flow in the same direction as the current in the ring.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of the induced current?

The magnitude of the induced current is affected by several factors, including the distance between the point charge and the ring, the charge of the point charge, and the resistance of the ring. The closer the point charge is to the ring and the higher the charge of the point charge, the greater the induced current will be. A higher resistance in the ring will result in a lower induced current.

4. Is the induced current constant or does it vary?

The induced current is not constant and can vary in magnitude and direction depending on the location of the point charge and the position of the ring. It can also change over time as the position of the point charge changes.

5. What is the practical application of point charge induced current on a conducting ring?

The phenomenon of point charge induced current on a conducting ring has various practical applications. For example, it can be used in induction heating, where the induced current generates heat in a conductive material. It is also used in electromagnetic induction, where the changing magnetic field from the induced current can produce electricity. Additionally, it is used in the design of electrical circuits, motors, and generators.