Poiseuille's law - Need help determining pressure difference

In summary, the problem is determining the pressure difference in a barrel of water with a horizontal pipe at the bottom leading to an open end. The equation used is f=(πPr⁡^4)/(8ηL) and it is suggested to find the mass of the water in the barrel and use p=f/A to find the pressure difference. It is also noted that the pressure at the bottom of the barrel only depends on the depth of the liquid and that the inlet pressure to the pipe is equal to the atmospheric pressure. The entry effect from the barrel to the pipe is negligible if the pipe is long enough.
Insidium

Homework Statement

The problem is if i have a barrel of water, and at the bottom there is a pipe sticking out going horizontally (leading to an open end), how do i determine the pressure difference?. I think I am right in saying the pressure at the end of the pipe would be pressure from the atmosphere, but its the other end that confuses me

Homework Equations

f=(πPr⁡^4)/(8ηL)

The Attempt at a Solution

I think it could be found via finding the mass of the water in the barrel, then with the area of the pipe use p=f/A

Physics news on Phys.org
The pressure difference between what two points?

By the way, the pressure at the bottom of the barrel does not depend on how much liquid is in the barrel. It only depends on the depth of the liquid.

LawrenceC said:
The pressure difference between what two points?

By the way, the pressure at the bottom of the barrel does not depend on how much liquid is in the barrel. It only depends on the depth of the liquid.

It is reasonable to assume that the inlet pressure to the pipe is equal to the pressure at the bottom of the barrel. There is an entry effect from the barrel to the pipe, but this will be negligible if the pipe is long enough. As LawrenceC implied, the pressure at the bottom of the barrel is equal to the atmospheric pressure plus the static head ρgh, where h is the depth of liquid in the barrel.

1. What is Poiseuille's law and how does it relate to fluid flow?

Poiseuille's law is an equation that describes the relationship between pressure, flow rate, and resistance in a fluid. It states that the flow rate of a fluid is directly proportional to the pressure difference between two points and inversely proportional to the resistance of the fluid.

2. How is pressure difference calculated using Poiseuille's law?

The pressure difference can be calculated using the equation ΔP = 8μQL/πr4, where μ is the viscosity of the fluid, Q is the flow rate, L is the length of the tube, and r is the radius of the tube.

3. What is the significance of Poiseuille's law in fluid mechanics?

Poiseuille's law is an important equation in fluid mechanics as it helps us understand the factors that affect fluid flow, such as pressure, flow rate, and resistance. It is also used in various applications, such as in the design of pipes, blood flow in the human body, and in the study of air flow in ventilation systems.

4. What are the limitations of Poiseuille's law?

There are a few limitations to Poiseuille's law, such as the assumption that the fluid is incompressible and the flow is laminar. It also does not take into account factors such as turbulence, irregularities in the tube wall, and non-Newtonian fluids.

5. How can Poiseuille's law be applied in real-world situations?

Poiseuille's law has various applications in engineering, medicine, and environmental science. It is used in the design of pipes for efficient fluid transport, in the study of blood flow in arteries and veins, and in the analysis of air flow in ventilation systems. It can also be used to determine the viscosity of a fluid by rearranging the equation to solve for μ.