Polar Coordinates Improper Integral Proofs

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of the improper integral over the entire plane and its equivalency to the integral over a disk or square with infinite dimensions. It also shows that the integral of e^(-x^2) and e^(-y^2) over R2 is equal to pi, and that the integral of e^(-x^2) over R is equal to the square root of pi. The final part uses a change of variable to show that the integral of e^(-x^2/2) over R is equal to the square root of 2pi.
themadhatter1

Homework Statement

(a) we define the improper integral (over the entire plane R2)
[tex]I=\int\int_{R^2}e^{-(x^2+y^2)}dA=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{-(x^2+y^2)}dy dx=\lim_{a\rightarrow\infty}\int\int_{D_{a}} e^{-(x^2+y^2)} dA[/tex]

where Da is the disk with radius a and center the origin. Show that
[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{-(x^2+y^2)}dA=\pi[/tex]

(b)
An equilivent definition of the improper integral in part (a) is
[tex]\int\int_{R^2}e^{-(x^2+y^2)}dA=\lim_{a\rightarrow\infty}\int\int_{S_{a}} e^{-(x^2+y^2)} dA [/tex]

where Sa is the square with vertices [tex](\pm a,\pm a)[/tex] Use this to show that
[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{-x^2}dx\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{-y^2}dy=\pi[/tex]

(c) deduce that

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{-x^2}dx=\sqrt{\pi}[/tex]

(d) By making the change of variable [tex]t=\sqrt{2}x[/tex]. show that
[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{\frac{-x^2}{2}}dx=\sqrt{2\pi}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I proved a by doing a change of variables into polar coordinates. However, I'm not quite sure how I would go about proving b.The idea that Sa is a square means I would be using Cartesian coordinates however, those 2 integrals don't have an antiderviative, what should I look at next?

Physics news on Phys.org
update, I proved everything, however I'm not sure If my proof for b is what they're asking for. I said that

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{-x^2}dx\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{-y^2}dy=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{-(x^2+y^2)}dy dx[/tex]

and since I had proved that the rhs of the equation equals pi it must be true that the left hand side of the equation equals pi as well. Dosen't a square of infinite dimensions have the same area as a polar rectangle where 0≤θ≤2∏ and 0≤r≤infinity. Does this satisfy the question being asked?

That's exactly what I did for part b. I have this assigned so I need some help on this problem as well.

I don't know how to do part c yet. I took the equation from b, and divided by the e^(-(y^2)) integral and all I would have to do is prove that that integral equals √∏. I tried to say that -y^2=x^2-r^2 so if you replace the e^(-(y^2)) integral with e^(x^2)/e^(r^2) (which I'm not sure if you can do), then idk I'm kinda stuck.

Related to Polar Coordinates Improper Integral Proofs

1. What are polar coordinates and how are they used in improper integral proofs?

Polar coordinates are a way of representing points in a plane using a distance from the origin and an angle. They are useful in improper integral proofs because they allow us to integrate functions with circular or radial symmetry, which can be difficult to calculate using Cartesian coordinates.

2. How do you convert an improper integral from Cartesian to polar coordinates?

To convert an improper integral from Cartesian to polar coordinates, we use the following substitutions: x = rcosθ and y = rsinθ, and change the limits of integration accordingly. We also need to include the Jacobian, which is the determinant of the matrix of partial derivatives of x and y with respect to r and θ.

3. What is an improper integral proof and why is it important?

An improper integral proof is a mathematical technique used to evaluate integrals that do not have a finite value due to an infinite limit or a discontinuity in the integrand. It is important because it allows us to solve integrals that would be impossible to calculate using standard methods, and it is essential in many areas of science and engineering.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when using polar coordinates in improper integral proofs?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using polar coordinates in improper integral proofs include forgetting to include the Jacobian in the integrand, using the wrong limits of integration, and not properly converting the integrand from Cartesian to polar coordinates.

5. Can polar coordinates be used in any type of improper integral proof?

While polar coordinates are often used in improper integral proofs for functions with circular or radial symmetry, they can also be used for other types of integrals. However, it is important to carefully consider whether polar coordinates are the most efficient and accurate method for solving a particular integral.