Polarisation through a chiral nematic crystal

In summary, the conversation discusses the electric field in a birefringent material with constant fast and slow directions, as well as the electric field in a chiral nematic crystal with varying directions. A proposed approach to finding an expression for the electric field at a given height involves splitting the crystal into slices, but it may be difficult to account for all internal reflections. An alternative approach using Bloch waves is suggested.
etotheipi
If light passes into a birefringent material with constant fast and slow directions, ##\hat{x}## and ##\hat{y}##, that are oriented the same way at any point in the crystal, then the electric field is$$\vec{E}(z,t) = E_0\hat{x}\cos{(\theta_0)}e^{i\omega(t - \frac{n_x}{c}z)} + E_0\hat{y}\cos{(\theta_0)}e^{i\omega(t - \frac{n_y}{c}z)}$$if the electric field is initially oriented at ##\theta_0## to the ##\hat{x}## axis before it enters the crystal. For a chiral nematic crystal, the fast and slow directions are functions of position, i.e. ##\hat{x} = \cos{(\mu z)} \hat{x}_{0} + \sin{(\mu z)} \hat{y}_0## and ##\hat{y} = -\sin{(\mu z)} \hat{x}_{0} + \cos{(\mu z)} \hat{y}_0##, where ##\mu## is just a constant. I want to find an expression for ##\vec{E}(z=w)##, where ##w## is the length of the crystal.

I'm not really sure what the best way to go about this is. I thought to try and split the crystal into ##N## slices of width ##w/N##, with lower faces at heights ##z_n = nw/N, n \in [0,N-1]##, and ##\hat{x}_n = \cos{(\mu z_n)} \hat{x}_{0} + \sin{(\mu z_n)} \hat{y}_0## and ##\hat{y}_n = -\sin{(\mu z_n)} \hat{x}_{0} + \cos{(\mu z_n)} \hat{y}_0##. Hence, the electric field at height ##z_1## would be$$\begin{align*}

\vec{E}(z = z_1,t) &= E_0\hat{x}_0\cos{(\theta_0)}e^{i\omega(t - \frac{n_x w}{cN})} + E_0\hat{y}_0\cos{(\theta_0)}e^{i\omega(t - \frac{n_y w}{cN})} \\

&= E_0(\cos{\mu z_1} \hat{x}_1 - \sin{\mu z_1} \hat{y}_1)\cos{(\theta_0)}e^{i\omega(t - \frac{n_x w}{cN})} + E_0(\sin{\mu z_1} \hat{x}_1 + \cos{\mu z_1} \hat{y}_1)\cos{(\theta_0)}e^{i\omega(t - \frac{n_y w}{cN})} \\

&= \left[ E_0 \cos{\mu z_1} \cos{\theta_0} e^{i\omega(t - \frac{n_x w}{cN})} + E_0 \sin{\mu z_1}\cos{\theta_0} e^{i\omega(t - \frac{n_y w}{cN})} \right] \hat{x}_1 +

\left[ E_0 \cos{\mu z_1} \cos{\theta_0} e^{i\omega(t - \frac{n_y w}{cN})} - E_0 \sin{\mu z_1}\cos{\theta_0} e^{i\omega(t - \frac{n_x w}{cN})} \right] \hat{y}_1
\end{align*}
$$and then between ##z_1## and ##z_2##, these two components will propagate at two different speeds along the ##\hat{x}_1## and ##\hat{y}_1## directions, so we need to write another equation for this layer, and so on. I really don't know if I'm going to get anything useful out of this, so I wondered if someone could let me know if there is a better approach? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
Perhaps I still have sleepies in my eyes but can't you simplify this expression greatly by pulling all the time dependence out front and writing the the ##cos(\mu z)## as ##etothei\mu z+ etotheminusi\mu z ## and similar?

• Haha
Likes etotheipi, DrClaude and berkeman
etotheipi said:
If light passes into a birefringent material with constant fast and slow directions, ##\hat{x}## and ##\hat{y}##, that are oriented the same way at any point in the crystal, then the electric field is$$\vec{E}(z,t) = E_0\hat{x}\cos{(\theta_0)}e^{i\omega(t - \frac{n_x}{c}z)} + E_0\hat{y}\cos{(\theta_0)}e^{i\omega(t - \frac{n_y}{c}z)}$$if the electric field is initially oriented at ##\theta_0## to the ##\hat{x}## axis before it enters the crystal. For a chiral nematic crystal, the fast and slow directions are functions of position, i.e. ##\hat{x} = \cos{(\mu z)} \hat{x}_{0} + \sin{(\mu z)} \hat{y}_0## and ##\hat{y} = -\sin{(\mu z)} \hat{x}_{0} + \cos{(\mu z)} \hat{y}_0##, where ##\mu## is just a constant. I want to find an expression for ##\vec{E}(z=w)##, where ##w## is the length of the crystal.

I'm not really sure what the best way to go about this is. I thought to try and split the crystal into ##N## slices of width ##w/N##, with lower faces at heights ##z_n = nw/N, n \in [0,N-1]##, and ##\hat{x}_n = \cos{(\mu z_n)} \hat{x}_{0} + \sin{(\mu z_n)} \hat{y}_0## and ##\hat{y}_n = -\sin{(\mu z_n)} \hat{x}_{0} + \cos{(\mu z_n)} \hat{y}_0##. Hence, the electric field at height ##z_1## would be$$\begin{align*}

\vec{E}(z = z_1,t) &= E_0\hat{x}_0\cos{(\theta_0)}e^{i\omega(t - \frac{n_x w}{cN})} + E_0\hat{y}_0\cos{(\theta_0)}e^{i\omega(t - \frac{n_y w}{cN})} \\

&= E_0(\cos{\mu z_1} \hat{x}_1 - \sin{\mu z_1} \hat{y}_1)\cos{(\theta_0)}e^{i\omega(t - \frac{n_x w}{cN})} + E_0(\sin{\mu z_1} \hat{x}_1 + \cos{\mu z_1} \hat{y}_1)\cos{(\theta_0)}e^{i\omega(t - \frac{n_y w}{cN})} \\

&= \left[ E_0 \cos{\mu z_1} \cos{\theta_0} e^{i\omega(t - \frac{n_x w}{cN})} + E_0 \sin{\mu z_1}\cos{\theta_0} e^{i\omega(t - \frac{n_y w}{cN})} \right] \hat{x}_1 +

\left[ E_0 \cos{\mu z_1} \cos{\theta_0} e^{i\omega(t - \frac{n_y w}{cN})} - E_0 \sin{\mu z_1}\cos{\theta_0} e^{i\omega(t - \frac{n_x w}{cN})} \right] \hat{y}_1
\end{align*}
$$and then between ##z_1## and ##z_2##, these two components will propagate at two different speeds along the ##\hat{x}_1## and ##\hat{y}_1## directions, so we need to write another equation for this layer, and so on. I really don't know if I'm going to get anything useful out of this, so I wondered if someone could let me know if there is a better approach? Thanks
Pardon my slightly "flip" answer earlier but I could not resist and it had some germ of truth. Of course the layer approach might work but you need to keep track of all the internal reflections backwards and forwards at the boundaries. I think it very difficult.
I note that you are imposing a periodic ##length=2\pi/\mu## condition with the chirality and I think something more like Bloch waves may be more reasonable.
Did any particular problem generate this line of investigation, or were you just thinking again (it will lead to no good)?

• Informative
Likes etotheipi
hutchphd said:
Pardon my slightly "flip" answer earlier but I could not resist and it had some germ of truth. Of course the layer approach might work but you need to keep track of all the internal reflections backwards and forwards at the boundaries. I think it very difficult.
I note that you are imposing a periodic ##length=2\pi/\mu## condition with the chirality and I think something more like Bloch waves may be more reasonable.
Did any particular problem generate this line of investigation, or were you just thinking again (it will lead to no good)?

lol, no worries! It made me smile. Anyway, yeah, my ##2\pi / \mu## is the 'pitch' of the crystal. I wonder, how would one go about using Bloch waves in this context, I've only come across them in the context of electron wave-functions in lattices?

It's not particularly important that I get the solution, I was more just playing around with it and trying to understand how a liquid crystal display works a bit more quantitatively :wink:

OK so I took a look at wikipedia and now realize I don't understand what the pitch has to do with it ( or if it does.) You do understand the fundamental rotation angle of the plane of polarization because of "normal" birefringence? (it goes like ##(k_{ordinary}-k_{extraordinary})z##. After that I am unsure...

This is roughly the type of arrangement I'm thinking of, my ##z## axis lies horizontally:

1604156894726.png

The director, and thus the fast and slow axes, rotate with increasing ##z## through the crystal, so the distance ##\Delta z## for one complete rotation in the orientation of the lattice planes is ##2\pi / \mu##, where I defined ##\mu## to be the equivalent of my wavenumber, i.e. ##2\pi / \mu## is the distance after which the structure repeats itself, one pitch.

Last edited by a moderator:
etotheipi said:
<snip> I wondered if someone could let me know if there is a better approach? Thanks

I think (but I'm not sure) this problem has been worked out already using the Jones calculus.

https://www.osapublishing.org/josaa/abstract.cfm?uri=josaa-10-5-966

Abstract: We derive an extended Jones matrix method to treat the transmission of light through birefringent networks, where the incident angle of light and the optical axis of the birefringent media are arbitrary. As an example, we employ the method to analyze the leakage problem of a twisted nematic liquid-crystal display and to suggest its possible solutions. A generalization of the method covers all dielectric media, including uniaxial and biaxial crystals and also gyrotropic materials that exhibit optical rotation and Faraday rotation.

• Love
Likes hutchphd and etotheipi
That's awesome! I'm a little tired to work through the document this evening, but I'll try and do that tomorrow morning. When I skimmed it just now, it looks like the model of the crystal they're using is not too different, i.e. they're also considering stacked layers:
"LCD medium divided into N layers. Each layer can be considered as a uniaxial medium. The orientation of the c axis may change from layer to layer (e.g., a TNLCD). The ordinary and extraordinary indices of refraction, ##n_0## and ##n_e## respectively, are constants for all layer"
I have no experience with the Jones calculus, so maybe I'll need to read up on that as well before I can attempt the paper. Thanks for letting me know if this!

When you figure it out you could post your digested version (if it is digestible) of the physics! I too will have a peek...but we shall see how far that goes.

Likes etotheipi
Sure, yeah, I'll post status updates. I should have all of my 'actual' work done by mid-Thursday so I'm pretty sure I can throw something together by the end of the week :smile:

1. What is polarisation through a chiral nematic crystal?

Polarisation through a chiral nematic crystal is a phenomenon where light passing through a specific type of liquid crystal, known as a chiral nematic crystal, is split into two circularly polarised components. This is due to the helical structure of the crystal, which causes the light to interact differently with different parts of the crystal.

2. How does polarisation through a chiral nematic crystal occur?

Polarisation through a chiral nematic crystal occurs because of the unique molecular arrangement of the crystal. The molecules in the crystal are arranged in a helical structure, with a specific pitch or distance between each twist. When light passes through the crystal, it interacts with the molecules and is split into two components with different polarisations.

3. What is the difference between circularly and linearly polarised light?

Circularly polarised light is a type of light wave where the electric field vector rotates in a circular motion. This means that the direction of the electric field changes continuously as the light wave travels. In contrast, linearly polarised light has an electric field that oscillates in a single direction, either vertically or horizontally.

4. How is polarisation through a chiral nematic crystal used in technology?

Polarisation through a chiral nematic crystal is used in various technologies, such as liquid crystal displays (LCDs) and optical filters. In LCDs, the polarisation of light is manipulated through the use of chiral nematic crystals to create images on screens. In optical filters, the polarisation of light is selectively blocked or transmitted through the use of chiral nematic crystals, allowing for the manipulation of light in various applications.

5. Are there any practical applications of polarisation through a chiral nematic crystal?

Yes, there are many practical applications of polarisation through a chiral nematic crystal. As mentioned, it is used in LCDs and optical filters, but it also has applications in telecommunications, optical sensors, and even in the production of 3D glasses. Additionally, the study of polarisation through chiral nematic crystals has led to advances in materials science and nanotechnology.