Determining Electric and Magnetic field given certain conditions

In summary, the conversation touches upon the real part of a complex wave equation, with a negative factor indicating a left traveling wave, as well as the unit vector of a magnetic field and its relationship with the electric field. The conversation also discusses the use of equations and finding the correct answer through understanding and reading through a book.
guyvsdcsniper
Homework Statement
Refer to attached image
Relevant Equations
comlplex wave equation,
Screen Shot 2022-10-06 at 11.06.55 AM.png

I am unsure of my solutions and am looking for some guidance. a.)The real part of the wave in complex notation can be written as ##\widetilde{A} = A^{i\delta}##. Writing the Complex Wave equation, we have ##\vec E(t) = \widetilde{A}e^{(-kz-\Omega t)} \hat x##. Therefore the real part is ##\vec E(t) =Ae^{(-kz-\Omega t+\delta)} \hat x##. The negative in front of kz indicates it is a left traveling wave.

b.) The unit vector of ##\hat B = \frac{(\hat x - 2\hat z)}{\sqrt{5}}##. I know that ##\hat E## must be perpendicular to ##\hat B##, so simply,
##\hat E = \frac{(\hat x + 2\hat z)}{\sqrt{5}}##

c.) I am not so sure about this problem. I know that ##\vec E = \widetilde{E}_oe^{i(ky-wt)}\hat x##
Griffiths states ##\widetilde{B}_o = \widetilde{E}_o/c## and ##v=c/n##.

So ##\vec B = \frac{c\widetilde{E}_o}{1.7}e^{i(ky-wt)}\hat z##

Physics news on Phys.org
guyvsdcsniper said:
a.)The real part of the wave in complex notation can be written as ##\widetilde{A} = A^{i\delta}##. Writing the Complex Wave equation, we have ##\vec E(t) = \widetilde{A}e^{(-kz-\Omega t)} \hat x##. Therefore the real part is ##\vec E(t) =Ae^{(-kz-\Omega t+\delta)} \hat x##. The negative in front of kz indicates it is a left traveling wave.
The problem statement said the wave travels in the ##-x## direction. Your answer isn't sinusoidal. It decays with time. What is ##\delta##?

b.) The unit vector of ##\hat B = \frac{(\hat x - 2\hat z)}{\sqrt{5}}##. I know that ##\hat E## must be perpendicular to ##\hat B##, so simply,
##\hat E = \frac{(\hat x + 2\hat z)}{\sqrt{5}}##
It doesn't look like ##\hat E \cdot \hat B=0##.

Likes topsquark
vela said:
The problem statement said the wave travels in the ##-x## direction. Your answer isn't sinusoidal. It decays with time. What is ##\delta##?
You're right. I should have ##\vec E(t) =Acos{(-kz-\Omega t+\delta)} \hat x##
##\delta## is the phase
So I need to make ##\hat x## be ##\hat - x## as well as account for it is a wave traveling left by the ##-kz## in the ##cos##?

I assumed the ##-kz## in the ##cos## accounted for the negative direction.

guyvsdcsniper said:
I assumed the ##-kz## in the ##cos## accounted for the negative direction.
In the ##-z## direction, not the ##-x## direction.

Hint: The wave travels in the negative ##x## direction and the ##\vec{B}##-field (sic!) is polarized in ##z##-direction. So the complex ansatz for ##\vec{B}## is (using the HEP physicists' convention concerning the signs in the exponential)
$$\vec{B}=A \vec{e}_z \exp(-\mathrm{i} \Omega t-\mathrm{i} k x), \quad \Omega,k>0.$$
Now just use the source-free Maxwell equations to get the dispersion relation ##\Omega=\Omega(k)## and the ##\vec{E}##-field!

I figured it out. I had a big misunderstanding on the equations I was using but took the time to read through my book and was able to come to the correct answer. Thanks all for the help!

Likes vanhees71

1. What is the difference between electric and magnetic fields?

Electric fields are created by stationary or moving charges and exert a force on other charges within the field. Magnetic fields, on the other hand, are created by moving charges and exert a force on other moving charges or magnetic materials within the field.

2. How do you determine the direction of an electric field?

The direction of an electric field is determined by the direction of the force it exerts on a positive test charge. The force will be in the same direction as the electric field lines, which are drawn from positive to negative charges.

3. What factors affect the strength of an electric field?

The strength of an electric field is affected by the magnitude of the charges creating the field and the distance between them. The strength also decreases with distance from the charges, following an inverse square law.

4. How is the strength of a magnetic field determined?

The strength of a magnetic field is determined by the magnitude of the current or moving charges creating the field, the distance from the source, and the permeability of the material the field is passing through.

5. Can electric and magnetic fields interact with each other?

Yes, electric and magnetic fields can interact with each other. When a charged particle moves through a magnetic field, it experiences a force perpendicular to both the direction of its motion and the direction of the magnetic field. This is known as the Lorentz force.