Polarizability if a molecule in raman scattering

In summary, Raman scattering involves matrix elements that scale with v+1 for Stokes transitions and v for anti-Stokes transitions. This is due to the harmonic nature of the vibrations involved and can be proven by expressing x, y, and z in terms of generation and annihilation operators. Further explanation and references can be found by researching the specific quantum number (v) involved.
Mr Boom
Hello. I'm reviewing background information on Raman scattering and I've noticed that the polarizability scales with v+1 for Stokes transitions and v for anti-Stokes. Why is this and what assumptions are used in the derivation? An explanation or pointing me to a good reference would be appreciated.

Thanks

Science news on Phys.org
I don't understand your question- what is 'v'?

I think v is the quantum number n of the oscillator involved.
I can only give you a scetch:
In Raman scattering you have matrix elements [itex]\langle v|x,y,z|v\pm 1\rangle \langle v\pm 1 | x,y,z |v\rangle [/itex]. If the vibrations are harmonic these expressions scale like v or v+1. Try to express x, y or z in terms of generation and anihilation operators b+ and b to prove this.

1. What is polarizability in the context of Raman scattering?

Polarizability is a measure of how easily a molecule can be distorted by an electric field. In Raman scattering, it is the measure of the change in dipole moment of a molecule due to incident light.

2. How is polarizability related to Raman scattering intensity?

The polarizability of a molecule affects the intensity of Raman scattering through its influence on the molecular vibration frequency and the strength of the scattered light. Higher polarizability leads to higher scattering intensity.

3. How does the size and shape of a molecule affect its polarizability?

The polarizability of a molecule is directly related to its size and shape. Larger and more elongated molecules tend to have higher polarizability, while smaller and more spherical molecules have lower polarizability.

4. Can polarizability be measured experimentally?

Yes, polarizability can be measured experimentally through Raman spectroscopy. By analyzing the intensity and frequency of Raman scattering, the polarizability of a molecule can be determined.

5. What are some factors that can influence the polarizability of a molecule in Raman scattering?

The polarizability of a molecule can be influenced by several factors, including the type of chemical bonds present, the electron density distribution, and the symmetry of the molecule. Changes in these factors can lead to changes in polarizability and affect the Raman scattering intensity.