Selection Rules for a Diatomic Molecule?

In summary: Bransden-Joachain says that the selection rule for ##\Delta K## for diatomic molecules is ##\Delta K = 0, \pm 1##.11.3 of Bransden-Joachain is the correct rule and states that ##\Delta \Lambda = 0, \pm 1##.
Sebacide
Hello!
I have a question about selection rules and electronic transitions of a diatomic molecule: I can't find a good explanation about that, and there's so much confusion about the right rules to use.
I studied that on Bransden-Joachain's "Physics of atoms and molecules", but there (to whom have the book, paragraphs 11.1 and 11.3 of 2nd edition) is said that diatomic molecules are forced to have a transition with ΔΛ=0, and, some pages on, that there is a rule ΔΛ=0,+-1; so, which is the right one?
Surely they are referred to different situations, but it is not explained very clearly.
Thanks for the answers!

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't really understand what Bransden and Joachain are saying in 11.1. They are discussing pure rotational spectra, so I don't see why they invoke ##\Delta \Lambda##.

In any case, 11.3 is correct and ##\Delta \Lambda = 0, \pm 1##.

Likes Twigg
Hi, thank you for your help: I thought the same, but during class it was mentioned the ##\Delta \Lambda=0## only.
So, if I have to describe the possible transition between two fixed electonic states, I have to separate the case in which one of the two lamdas is not zero and the one they are zero?

Sebacide said:
Hi, thank you for your help: I thought the same, but during class it was mentioned the ##\Delta \Lambda=0## only.
So, if I have to describe the possible transition between two fixed electonic states, I have to separate the case in which one of the two lamdas is not zero and the one they are zero?
The selection rules on ##\Delta K## is not the same for ##\Lambda = 0 \leftrightarrow \Lambda = 0## than for ##\Lambda \neq 0 \leftrightarrow \Lambda \neq 0##

Sebacide said:
I have a question about selection rules and electronic transitions of a diatomic molecule: I can't find a good explanation about that, and there's so much confusion about the right rules to use.
The following books provide definitive discussions of the selection rules:

1. G. Herzberg, "Molecular Spectra and Molecular Structure. Volume I: Spectra of Diatomic Molecules. Second Edition" D. Van Nostrand, 1950.

2. C. H. Townes and A. L. Scawlow, "Microwave Spectroscopy", McGraw Hill, 1955.

While not new books, they are classic discussions of the fundamental concepts.

1. What are selection rules for a diatomic molecule?

Selection rules for a diatomic molecule are a set of quantum mechanical rules that determine which transitions are allowed between different energy levels of a diatomic molecule. These rules are based on the conservation of energy, angular momentum, and parity.

2. How do selection rules affect the spectrum of a diatomic molecule?

Selection rules determine which transitions are allowed, and therefore, which spectral lines will be observed in the spectrum of a diatomic molecule. If a transition is not allowed by the selection rules, there will be no spectral line present for that particular energy transition.

3. What is the significance of selection rules in spectroscopy?

Selection rules are essential in spectroscopy as they help us understand the underlying physical principles governing the interaction between light and matter. They also allow us to interpret the observed spectra and determine the energy levels of a diatomic molecule.

4. Can selection rules be violated?

Selection rules can be violated in certain situations, such as when there is a strong external electric or magnetic field present. In these cases, the selection rules may be modified, and transitions that are normally not allowed may become allowed.

5. How do selection rules differ for different types of diatomic molecules?

The selection rules for diatomic molecules depend on the symmetry of the molecule. For example, homonuclear diatomic molecules have different selection rules than heteronuclear diatomic molecules. Additionally, the selection rules may also vary depending on the electronic state or vibrational state of the molecule.