Changes in angular momentum for ro-vibrational transitions

In summary, the selection rules require for the changes in the rotational quantum number J that ##\Delta J = \pm 1##. However, if we start with a state with angular momentum J, shouldn't we be able to obtain J-1, J and J+1 by combining it with the 1 unit of angular momentum from the photon?
Malamala
Hello! If we have a transition between 2 ro-vibrational levels of the same electronic state of a diatomic molecule the selection rules require for the changes in the rotational quantum number J that ##\Delta J = \pm 1##. Why can't we have ##\Delta J = 0##? The photon carries one unit of angular momentum, so if we start with a state with angular momentum J, shouldn't we be able to obtain J-1, J and J+1 by combining it with the 1 unit of angular momentum from the photon? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
dRic2 said:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rigid_rotor#Selection_rules

maybe it is what you are looking for
I've actually seen that derivation before. In addition, if you do the math, the ##\Delta J = \pm 1## is true for circularly polarized light, too, not only for linearly polarized one. However I was hoping for a more physical/intuitive explanation of this, rather than just: "The math says so". As I said, given that the photon has spin 1, I expected that adding that to a spin J, the resulting spin would be J-1, J, J+1, but it seems like the J case doesn't hold and I was wondering why basic angular momentum addition can't be applied here, without having to go through all the math.

##J_2 - J_1## is the change in total angular momentum of the molecule, so the photon should carry this momentum (##|J_2 - J_1| < J_{ph} < |J_2 + J_1|##). From an intuitive point of view, I think (I'm not sure) the case ##J_{ph} = 0## is forbidden because it would be associated with a monopole radiation. From classical EM we know that magnetic monopoles do not exist and electric monopoles do not radiate (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multipole_radiation#Electric_monopole_radiation,_nonexistence). If I remembered correctly, you may be able to prove this by expanding the vector potential in spherical harmonics or something on those lines. I've never actually tried and I'm not sure this is right because I can't remember where I read it. If you succeed let me know.

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a physical quantity that describes the amount of rotational motion an object has. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, and is conserved in a closed system.

2. How does angular momentum change during ro-vibrational transitions?

During ro-vibrational transitions, the angular momentum of a molecule changes due to changes in its rotational and vibrational states. This change in angular momentum is caused by the absorption or emission of photons, which carry angular momentum.

3. What factors affect the changes in angular momentum during ro-vibrational transitions?

The changes in angular momentum during ro-vibrational transitions are affected by the selection rules, which determine which transitions are allowed based on the quantum numbers of the initial and final states. Additionally, the energy levels and rotational constants of the molecule also play a role in determining the changes in angular momentum.

4. How is angular momentum quantized during ro-vibrational transitions?

Angular momentum is quantized during ro-vibrational transitions because the rotational and vibrational states of the molecule are quantized. This means that the angular momentum can only change by certain discrete values, depending on the quantum numbers of the initial and final states.

5. What is the significance of changes in angular momentum during ro-vibrational transitions?

The changes in angular momentum during ro-vibrational transitions provide important information about the structure and properties of molecules. By studying these changes, scientists can gain insights into the energy levels and rotational constants of molecules, which can be used to identify and characterize different molecules in a sample.