Polyester v. Cotton (Elastic limit)

In summary: If you are still having trouble, you may want to consult with your teacher or do some additional research on materials science and properties of different materials. In summary, the task is to compare the elastic limit of polyester and cotton, in order to understand why polyester is a preferable material for football shirts. Additional research may be needed to find information on materials used before polyester was introduced.
Damien

Homework Statement

For my coursework I am to compare how the elastic limit in polyester & cotton varies when the same force is applied to them both. I want to do this because for my coursework I have decided to do why polyester is a good material for football shirts, and why, if it is, better than cotton. So I want to see the elastic limit in them both to compare, but I also want to know if there are any sites that say what materials were used to make football shirts before polyester came about.

Homework Equations

Not sure, I think it is stress/strain but that may be to work out stiffness. I am so confused.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't get this at all. Someone please help, I can't even find any numbers for it's properties.

--

Apologies if this is in wrong forum. If it is please move it, thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
The elastic limit of a material is the point at which it begins to permanently deform when a force is applied to it. To compare the elastic limits of polyester and cotton, you can measure the amount of force needed to deform them both when the same amount of force is applied. You can also measure the amount of strain (deformation) that occurs when the same amount of force is applied. Once you have these measurements, you can compare the results and determine which material has a higher elastic limit. In terms of finding information about materials used to make football shirts before polyester, you may be able to find some information by looking through old catalogs or product descriptions from manufacturers. You may also be able to find some information through researching the history of football shirt manufacturing.

I can help you understand the concept of elastic limit and how it applies to polyester and cotton. The elastic limit is the maximum amount of stress or force that a material can withstand without permanently deforming or breaking. In other words, it is the point at which a material can no longer return to its original shape after being stretched or compressed.

In terms of polyester and cotton, both materials have different elastic limits. Polyester is a synthetic material that is known for its high elasticity and strength, making it a popular choice for sports apparel such as football shirts. It has a higher elastic limit compared to cotton, meaning it can withstand more stress or force before permanently deforming. This is why polyester is often preferred for sports apparel, as it can withstand the movements and stresses of athletes without losing its shape.

On the other hand, cotton has a lower elastic limit and is not as elastic as polyester. This means that it can only withstand a certain amount of stress or force before it starts to deform. This is why cotton is not as commonly used in sports apparel, as it may not be able to withstand the rigorous movements and stresses of athletes.

In terms of finding information on the materials used to make football shirts before polyester, you can try researching historical textile materials or looking for articles or books on the history of sports apparel. It may also be helpful to contact sports apparel companies or museums that specialize in sports history for more information.

I hope this helps clarify the concept of elastic limit and how it applies to polyester and cotton. Good luck with your coursework!

Related to Polyester v. Cotton (Elastic limit)

1. What is the difference between polyester and cotton in terms of their elastic limit?

Polyester and cotton are two common materials used in fabric production. The elastic limit of a material is the point at which it can no longer return to its original shape after being stretched. In general, polyester has a higher elastic limit than cotton, meaning it can be stretched further without permanent deformation.

2. Why is the elastic limit of polyester higher than cotton?

The elastic limit of a material is determined by its molecular structure. Polyester is a synthetic material made from long chains of polymers, which give it a higher strength and elasticity compared to the shorter cellulose fibers in cotton.

3. How does the elastic limit affect the durability of polyester and cotton fabrics?

The higher elastic limit of polyester means it is less likely to stretch out of shape and more resistant to wear and tear compared to cotton. This makes polyester fabrics more durable and long-lasting.

4. Can the elastic limit of polyester and cotton be improved?

Both polyester and cotton can be blended with other materials to improve their elastic limit. For example, cotton can be blended with spandex to increase its stretch and elasticity, while polyester can be blended with natural fibers like cotton or bamboo for a softer feel.

5. What are the benefits of choosing a fabric with a higher elastic limit?

Fabrics with a higher elastic limit, such as polyester, are more resistant to wrinkles, shrinking, and stretching out of shape. This makes them easier to care for and maintain, and they can also provide a better fit and shape for clothing and other textile products.