Polymerization of 2-Chloro-2-Butene: Solution

• Thread starter Macroer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Polymer
In summary: It will always be at the end of the new polymer, thus 'end group'In summary, the polymer of 2-chloro-2-butene formed by addition polymerization begins with an initiation step where an initiator (I) combines with the monomer (CH2=CCl-CH2-CH3) to form a radical (I-CH2-CHCl*-CH2-CH3). The polymerization continues with the addition of monomer units, resulting in a polymer chain with end groups of (CH3)(Cl)(I)C- and -CH2-CCl*(CH3) at either end. The process is terminated when all the monomer units have been added. The end groups
Macroer

Homework Statement

How would the polymer of 2-chloro-2-butene look when formed by addition polymerization

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have attached my solution. Please tell me if i am right/wrong and why if it is wrong.

Attachments

• polymer.JPG
    polymer.JPG
    3.5 KB · Views: 399
Physics news on Phys.org
What does the initiator end of the molecule look like? How is the process terminated? What does the other end of the molecule look like?

Initiation:

I* + CH2=CCl-CH2-CH3--> I-CH2-CHCl*-CH2-CH3How is that for initiation step? where I is initiator and * is radical sign

You drew 2-chloro-1-butene. How about the 2-butene version? Do you think you will need to show the end groups in your answer? (I honestly don't know)

I* + CH3-CCl=CH-CH3--> I-CH2-CCl*-CH2-CH3

And i am not sure what the "end groups" you are referring to are.

I* + CH3-CCl=CH-CH3 --> (CH3)(Cl)(I)C-C*(Cl)(CH3) Step 1 (not a polymer yet)

The end groups are (CH3)(Cl)(I)C- in the example above. It will always be at the end of the new polymer, thus 'end group'. What about the other end?

I don't understand where you got the 2nd chlorine atom from

You're right. Should be...

(CH3)(I)C-C*(Cl)(CH3)

and...

The end groups are (CH3)(I)C- in the example above.

Last edited:

Related to Polymerization of 2-Chloro-2-Butene: Solution

1. What is the purpose of polymerization of 2-Chloro-2-Butene?

The purpose of polymerization of 2-Chloro-2-Butene is to produce a polymer, a large molecule made up of repeating units, from the monomer 2-Chloro-2-Butene. This process is used to create various products such as plastics, adhesives, and coatings.

2. How is polymerization of 2-Chloro-2-Butene carried out?

Polymerization of 2-Chloro-2-Butene can be carried out through various methods such as radical polymerization, anionic polymerization, or cationic polymerization. These methods involve the use of different initiators, catalysts, and reaction conditions to promote the formation of the polymer chain.

3. What are the benefits of polymerization of 2-Chloro-2-Butene?

Polymerization of 2-Chloro-2-Butene offers several benefits, including the ability to produce polymers with specific properties, such as strength, flexibility, and heat resistance. It also allows for the creation of new materials with unique characteristics that cannot be achieved through other processes.

4. What are the potential hazards of polymerization of 2-Chloro-2-Butene?

Like any chemical process, polymerization of 2-Chloro-2-Butene can pose hazards if proper safety precautions are not taken. Exposure to the monomer and its byproducts can cause irritation to the skin, eyes, and respiratory system. It is important to follow safety protocols and handle the chemicals with care to minimize potential risks.

5. What are some applications of polymerization of 2-Chloro-2-Butene?

Polymerization of 2-Chloro-2-Butene has a wide range of applications in industries such as packaging, automotive, construction, and textiles. It is used to produce various products such as plastic bottles, car parts, pipes, and clothing. Additionally, the resulting polymer can also be further processed to create other materials, such as rubber and foam.