Polynomial of degree 3. splitting field.

In summary, the necessary and sufficient conditions for the splitting field of $p(x)=x^3+ax+b=0$ to have degree exactly $3$ over the field of rational numbers are that $p(x)$ should have no rational roots and all three roots of $p(x)$ in the field of complex numbers should be real. This can be shown by looking at the discriminant of the cubic equation and using the Vieta substitution.
caffeinemachine
Gold Member
MHB
If $F$ is the field of rational numbers, find the necessary and sufficient conditions on $a$ and $b$ so that the splitting field of $p(x)=x^3+ax+b=0$ has degree exactly $3$ over $F$.

ATTEMPT:
If $p(x)$ is not irreducible in $F[x]$ then the splitting field of $p(x)$ over $F$ can have degree $2!=2$ over $F$.
Thus $p(x)$ should have no rational roots.
Now.
Claim: $p(x)$ should not have any complex root (in the field of complex numbers).
Proof: Suppose it did. Say $\alpha$ is a complex root of $p(x)$. Now since $p(x)$ is a polynomial of degree three it has at least one real root say $a$. Let $E$ be the splitting field of $p(x)$ over $F$. Then $[F(a):F]$ divides $[E:F]=3$. $[F(a):F] \neq 1$ since $p(x)$ is irreducible in $F[x]$. Thus $[F(a):F]=3$. Clearly $\alpha \not \in F(a)$. Thus $[F(a, \alpha):F] > [F(a):F]$. Since $[F(a, \alpha):F]$ divides $[E:F]$, it follows that $[E;F]> [F(a):F]=3$.

So all three roots of $p(x)$ in the field of complex numbers are real.

Now what do I do?

Physics news on Phys.org
have you considered looking at the discriminant? in this case $\Delta = -4a^3 - 27b^2$. now argue that $\Delta < 0$ and $\sqrt{-\Delta}$ is rational (you might want to consider the vieta substitution:

$$x = w - \frac{a}{3w}$$

to see where I'm coming from).

Deveno said:
have you considered looking at the discriminant? in this case $\Delta = -4a^3 - 27b^2$. now argue that $\Delta < 0$ and $\sqrt{-\Delta}$ is rational (you might want to consider the vieta substitution:

$$x = w - \frac{a}{3w}$$

to see where I'm coming from).
I don't know what the discriminant is in case of cubic equation.
I didn't know that the question requires that knowledge.
But thanks for your post Denevo. I will attempt this question again after reading more about the cubic.

use the substitution i mentioned, and then multiply through by $w^3$. you should get a quadratic in $w^3$. what are the conditions that a quadratic has two real rational roots?

To ensure that the splitting field of $p(x)$ has degree exactly $3$ over $F$, we need to make sure that all three roots of $p(x)$ are distinct. This can be achieved by requiring that the discriminant of $p(x)$, $b^2-4a^3$, is not a perfect square in $F$. This guarantees that the roots of $p(x)$ are not repeated and therefore the splitting field must have degree $3$ over $F$.

Additionally, we can also require that $p(x)$ is a cubic polynomial with no repeated factors in $F[x]$. This guarantees that the splitting field of $p(x)$ will have degree $3$ over $F$.

In summary, the necessary and sufficient conditions for the splitting field of $p(x)$ to have degree $3$ over $F$ are:
1. The discriminant of $p(x)$, $b^2-4a^3$, is not a perfect square in $F$.
2. $p(x)$ is a cubic polynomial with no repeated factors in $F[x]$.

Related to Polynomial of degree 3. splitting field.

1. What is a polynomial of degree 3?

A polynomial of degree 3, also known as a cubic polynomial, is a polynomial function with the highest degree term being raised to the power of 3. It can be written in the form ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d, where a, b, c, and d are constants.

2. What is a splitting field?

A splitting field is a field extension of a given field that contains all the roots of a given polynomial. In other words, it is the smallest field in which a given polynomial can be completely factored into linear factors.

3. How do you find the splitting field of a polynomial of degree 3?

To find the splitting field of a polynomial of degree 3, you first need to factor the polynomial into linear factors. Then, you can construct the splitting field by adjoining all the roots of the polynomial to the original field. The resulting field will be the smallest field that contains all the roots of the polynomial.

4. What is the importance of the splitting field in polynomial of degree 3?

The splitting field is important because it allows us to fully factor a polynomial of degree 3 into linear factors. This is important in many areas of mathematics, such as algebraic number theory and Galois theory, as it helps us understand the properties and behavior of polynomials.

5. Can a polynomial of degree 3 have more than one splitting field?

No, a polynomial of degree 3 can only have one splitting field. This is because the splitting field is unique and is determined by the roots of the polynomial. However, there may be different ways of constructing the same splitting field, depending on the chosen field extension.