Polynomial products with term of even degree x being non-zero is in NP

• Comp Sci
  • Thread starter CGandC
  • Start date
In summary, you are asking how to continue the verifier construction. You state that you don't see what conditions ( which involve the coefficients ## b_i , a_i , i\in I## ) one can check on the witness ## I ## in order to create a correct verifier, any ideas? You then state that by the way ( I'm curious ), how did you come up with this sum?
CGandC
Homework Statement
Problem: Define language ##L## s.t. a sequence of natural numbers ( zero included ) ##(t,a_1,b_1,k_1, \ldots , a_m ,b_m ,k_m ) ## is in ##L## if and only if the coefficient of ## x^{2t} ## in the expansion of ## p(x)=\left(a_1+b_1 x^{k_1}\right)\left(a_2+b_2 x^{k_2}\right) \cdots\left(a_m+b_m x^{k_m}\right) ## is non-zero. ( in other words, ## p(x)=\sum_{i=0}^d c_i x^i ## for integer coefficients ## d \geq 2 t, c_0, \ldots, c_d ##, and ## c_{2 t} \neq 0 ##).

Prove ## L \in NP ##.
Relevant Equations
Every language in NP has polynomial verifier and vice-versa.
Attempt: We'll define a polynomial verifier such that for input ## \left\langle\left(t, a_1, b_1, k_1, \ldots, a_m, b_m, k_m\right), I\right\rangle ## it accepts if and only if ## I ## is an encoding of a set ## I \subseteq \{ 1 , \ldots , m \} ## such that ## \sum_{i \in I} k_i=2 t ## [ I don't know how to continue from here ]

How do I continue the verifier construction? I don't see what conditions ( which involve the coefficients ## b_i , a_i , i\in I## ) one can check on the witness ## I ## in order to create a correct verifier, any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Define [itex]M = \{1, \dots, m\}[/itex] for convenience. Do we not have [tex]
\prod_{i \in M}(a_i + b_ix^{k_i}) = \sum_{I \in 2^{M}} \left(\prod_{i\in M \setminus I} a_i\right)\left( \prod_{i \in I}b_i\right) x^{\sum_{i \in I} k_i }[/tex] by taking the [itex]a_i[/itex] term from bracket [itex]i[/itex] if [itex]i \in M \setminus I[/itex] and the [itex]b_ix^{k_i}[/itex] term if [itex]i \in I[/itex]?

Likes CGandC
pasmith said:
Define [itex]M = \{1, \dots, m\}[/itex] for convenience. Do we not have [tex]
\prod_{i \in M}(a_i + b_ix^{k_i}) = \sum_{I \in 2^{M}} \left(\prod_{i\in M \setminus I} a_i\right)\left( \prod_{i \in I}b_i\right) x^{\sum_{i \in I} k_i }[/tex] by taking the [itex]a_i[/itex] term from bracket [itex]i[/itex] if [itex]i \in M \setminus I[/itex] and the [itex]b_ix^{k_i}[/itex] term if [itex]i \in I[/itex]?
So we must have ## \forall i\in I. b_i \neq 0 ## and ## \forall i \notin I. a_i \neq 0 ## , thanks for your help!!

The notation for more than two polynomial factors is less straightforward, but the product of [itex]n[/itex] polynomials of degrees [itex]n_i \geq 0[/itex] can be written as [tex]\begin{split}
P(x) &= \prod_{i=1}^n \left(\sum_{j=0}^{n_i} a_{ij}x^{j}\right) \\
&= \left(\sum_{j_1=0}^{n_1} a_{1j_1}x^{j_1}\right)
\cdots \left( \sum_{j_n=0}^{n_n} a_{nj_n} x^{j_n}\right) \\
&= \sum_{J \in S} a_{1j_1} \cdots a_{nj_n} x^{j_1+\cdots + j_n}
\end{split}[/tex] on expanding the product, where [tex]\begin{split}
J &= (j_1, j_2, \dots, j_n) \\ &\in
\{0, 1, \dots, n_1 \} \times \{0, 1, \dots n_2\} \times \dots \times \{0, 1, \dots, n_n\}
= S \subset \{0, 1, \dots, \max n_i\}^n. \end{split}[/tex] The coefficient of [itex]x^k[/itex] is then found by restricting the sum to [tex]
S_k = \{ J \in S: j_1 + \dots + j_n = k \} \subset S.[/tex]

Likes CGandC
Thank you very much, very good info!

1. What is a polynomial product?

A polynomial product is the result of multiplying two or more polynomials together. It is a mathematical expression that contains terms with variables raised to different powers.

2. What does it mean for a polynomial to have a term of even degree x being non-zero?

This means that the polynomial contains at least one term where the variable x is raised to an even power (such as x2 or x4) and that term has a non-zero coefficient. In other words, the polynomial cannot have only odd powers of x or have all even powers of x with a coefficient of zero.

3. What is NP?

NP stands for "nondeterministic polynomial time" and is a complexity class in computer science that includes problems that can be solved in polynomial time by a nondeterministic Turing machine. It is also commonly used to refer to a set of problems that are solvable in polynomial time on a classical computer.

4. How do you determine if a polynomial product with a term of even degree x being non-zero is in NP?

To determine if a polynomial product with a term of even degree x being non-zero is in NP, we need to check if the problem of determining whether a given polynomial has a term of even degree x with a non-zero coefficient can be solved in polynomial time by a nondeterministic Turing machine. If it can, then the problem is in NP.

5. Why is the concept of polynomial products with a term of even degree x being non-zero important in NP?

This concept is important in NP because it allows us to identify a set of problems that can be solved efficiently by a nondeterministic Turing machine. By studying these problems, we can gain a better understanding of the complexity of various computational tasks and potentially find more efficient algorithms for solving them.