Population Proportion

• Thread starter needhelp83
  • Start date
  • Tags
    population
In summary, the conversation discusses a study involving 20 tennis players who are given two rackets with different strings and are asked to state their preference after several weeks. The study also considers the cost of the strings and the null hypothesis that at most 50% of players prefer gut strings. Part a asks about the most appropriate rejection region, which is determined to be {15,16,17,18,19,20} because it is more stringent than the other two options. Part b asks about the probability of a type I error for this chosen region and whether it is the best level .05 test. Part d uses the results of the study to reject the null hypothesis and conclude that gut strings are more preferable than nylon strings. An
needhelp83
Each of a group of 20 tennis players is given 2 rackets, 1 having nylon strings and the having gut strings. After several weeks of playing with 2 rackets, each player will be asked to state a preference for one of 2 types of strings. Let p denote the proportion of all such players who prefer gut, and let X be number of players in the sample who prefer gut. Because gut is more expensive consider the null hypotheses that at most 50 % of all such players prefer gut. We simplify this to Ho: p= .5 planning to reject Ho only if sample evidence strongly favors gut strings.

a) Which of the rejection regions {15,16,17,18,19,20}, {0,1,2,3,4 5} or {0,1,2,3,17,18,19,20} is most appropriate and why are the other two not appropriate?

b)What is the probability of a type I error for the chosen region of part a? Does the region specify a .05 test? Is it the best level .05 test?

d) If 13 out of the 20 players prefer gut, should Ho be rejected using a significance level of .10?

My breakdown of the problem is as follows:
Ho: p=.5
Ha: p<.5

Looking at part d [tex]\hat{p}[/tex] = 13/20=0.65

T[tex]\alpha[/tex]=T 19,.1 = 1.328

T=[tex]\frac{.65-.5}{\sqrt{\frac{.5(1-.5}{20}}}= 1.342[/tex]

1.342 > .5, We reject Ho

We can conclude that that the gut string is more preferable than the nylon string.

What do I do with part a) and am I on track with part d bc it seems as though I should be solving for p<.5

Physics news on Phys.org
Any help...how would I start out figuring these rejection regions?

Alright is there any suggestions for part a? A formula? I know it has to do with Bernoulli and it is 50-50.

Related to Population Proportion

1. What is population proportion?

Population proportion refers to the proportion or percentage of a specific characteristic or attribute within a population. It is a measure of how prevalent a certain trait is among a group of individuals.

2. How is population proportion calculated?

To calculate population proportion, you divide the number of individuals with the specific characteristic by the total number of individuals in the population. This gives you a decimal value, which can be converted to a percentage by multiplying by 100.

3. Why is population proportion important?

Population proportion is important because it allows us to understand the distribution or prevalence of a certain trait within a population. This information can be used to make decisions and predictions about the population as a whole.

4. How does sample size affect population proportion?

Sample size can greatly affect population proportion, as a larger sample size tends to be more representative of the entire population. A small sample size may not accurately reflect the true proportion within the population and can lead to misleading results.

5. Can population proportion change over time?

Yes, population proportion can change over time. This can be due to various factors such as changes in the environment, behavior, or demographics of the population. It is important to regularly track and monitor population proportion to understand any changes that may occur.