Position of slider on potentiometer

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a 10kOhm potentiometer with a 5kOhm load and determining the position of the slider when the voltage across specific points is 3V. The equations Vout = Vin* (R2/(R1+R2)) and R1 + R2 = 10K are used to solve for R2 and calculate the pot slider position. The conversation also clarifies the concept of a potentiometer as a variable resistor and explains the steps taken to solve for the slider position.
rikiki

Homework Statement

The circuit (attached) shows a 10kOhm potentiometer with a 5 KOhm load. Determine the position of the slider on the 'pot' when the voltage across points 'XX' is 3V.

Homework Equations

Vout = Vin* (R2/(R1+R2))

The Attempt at a Solution

Please see attachment. Any help on where to go next would be greatly appreciated, I am completely stuck at the moment. Thanks.

R2 = (R1 x Vout) / (Vin + 1)
R2 = (10000 X 3) / (9 +1)
R2 = 3000 Ohms = 3kOhms

Attachments

• figure.bmp
    211.5 KB · Views: 926
  • attempt.JPG
    attempt.JPG
    5.4 KB · Views: 934
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I can't see point XX but I assume you mean across the 5K load.

now, the first problem is your equation: Vout = Vin* (R2/(R1+R2))

that is a valid approximation only if your load resistance is much larger than R2, therefore you will want to derive Vout taking load resistance into account.

The other thing you want to recognize is that R1 + R2 = 10K.

Now you be able to solve for R2. If you have any other questions feel free to ask

Thanks for your reply.

How come R1 + R2 = 10kOhms? sorry for probably a basic question.

If R1 + R2 = 10Kohms, assuming R2 consists of the two resistors in parallel,

R1 + R2 = 10
R1 + (5+x) = 10
10 + (5+x) = 10
5 + x = 10 - 10
= 0
5x = 0
x = 0 x 5
x = 0

therefore R2 = 5kOhms (5+0)

Vout = Vin* (R2/(R1+R2)
Vout = 9 x (5/10+5)
Vout = 9 x 0.3333
Vout = 3

How can I use this to calculate the pot slider position?

Thanks for your help.

okay, from what I understand from your question. You have a 10K pot right?
a POTentiometer is basically a resistor, in the case of your question it is represented by R1 and R2. R1 + R2 = 10K, the value of R1 and R2 is manually adjustable. Since the resistance of resisters are proportional to their lengths, the shorter they are the lower their resistance. so if the slider right in the middle of the pot, you have 50% of the total resistance on each side, then R1 = R2 = 5K. If you move the slider upwards for a quarter of its total length then R1 will be 2.5K, and R2 = 7.5K. Does that make sense?

in you question you basically connect a 5K resistor in parallel to R2. (which means R2 is JUST part of the 10K pot, not including the load)

hope this makes more sense :)

ok thanks think I understand it all a bit better now. So I can look at the 10KOhm pot as a variable rather than a fixed value as with resistor?

yea, think of R1 and R2 as variable resistors as long as they sum up to 10K

brilliant thanks for your help there.

R1 in series with 2 resistors in parallel (R2 and 5k ohm)

R1=10x, R2=10(1-x)

R2 + 5k ohm = RC

1/RC = 1/(10(1-x)) + 1/5.
1/RC = (5+10(1-x))/(50(1-x))
RC = 50(1-x) / (5+10(1-x))
= 10(1-x) / (1+2(1-x)

Voltage drop will be 9-3=6v
I = V/R
I = 6/R1 = 3/RC
R1 = 2RC

10x= 2x10(1-x)/ (1+2(1-x))
x = 2(1-x)/(1+2(1-x))
x(1+2(1-x))=2(1-x)
x+2x-2x^2 =2- 2x
2x^2-5x+2 = 0

Quadratic gives
x= 2 or x= .5

x=0.5 (halfway point)

This ok? Or have a gone the long way around to workout?

Related to Position of slider on potentiometer

1. What is a potentiometer?

A potentiometer is an electrical component that is used to vary the resistance in a circuit. It typically consists of a resistive element, a sliding contact known as the slider, and two terminals.

2. How does the position of the slider affect the resistance in a potentiometer?

The position of the slider on a potentiometer determines the amount of resistance in the circuit. As the slider moves along the resistive element, the amount of resistance changes, allowing for precise control over the current flow in the circuit.

3. What happens if the slider is positioned at the maximum or minimum end of the potentiometer?

If the slider is positioned at the maximum end of the potentiometer, the resistance in the circuit will be at its minimum. Similarly, if the slider is positioned at the minimum end, the resistance will be at its maximum.

4. How is the position of the slider on a potentiometer measured?

The position of the slider on a potentiometer is typically measured in terms of a percentage of the total length of the resistive element. This allows for a standardized way of indicating the resistance in a circuit.

5. What are some common applications of potentiometers?

Potentiometers are commonly used in a variety of electronic devices, such as volume controls on audio equipment, dimmer switches for lights, and as part of feedback mechanisms in control systems. They can also be used in scientific experiments to measure changes in resistance.