Position of speaker in front of tube to produce stationary wave

In summary, the speaker must be placed at a certain angle, typically 45o, in order to reduce the coupling of the loudspeaker diaphragm to the wave in the tube and prevent the reflection of the exiting wave from interfering with the resonance. The exact angle is not critical, but it should be close to 45o to achieve the desired effect.
songoku
1621262147437.png

That is part of the article. I want to ask about step 4. I know the basic theory of how stationary wave is formed (superposition of incoming and reflected wave) and also basic concept about stationary wave in open and closed tube, something like this:
1621262304441.png

But I don't know the reason why in step 4, the speaker must be placed at angle 45o, not pointed directly into it. If I imagine it, putting the speaker directly in front of the tube will also produce reflection and possibly stationary wave.

Why should be the speaker placed at certain angle? And must it be 45o, or can it be some other angle such as 60o?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
songoku said:
Summary:: I googled a lot of thing related to experiment to produce stationary wave using speaker and open / closed pipe and I saw an article.

Why should be the speaker placed at certain angle? And must it be 45o, or can it be some other angle such as 60o?
I think it must be to reduce the 'coupling' of the loudspeaker diaphragm to the wave in the tube and so that the reflection of the exiting wave will tend to be deflected away from the tube and not back into the tube and present an 'almost closed' end to that wave, affecting the resonance. The angle won't be ever so critical.

Likes songoku and tech99
sophiecentaur said:
I think it must be to reduce the 'coupling' of the loudspeaker diaphragm to the wave in the tube and so that the reflection of the exiting wave will tend to be deflected away from the tube and not back into the tube and present an 'almost closed' end to that wave, affecting the resonance. The angle won't be ever so critical.
Thank you very much sophiecentaur

1. What is a stationary wave?

A stationary wave, also known as a standing wave, is a type of wave that appears to be still or stationary. It is formed by the interference of two waves with the same frequency and amplitude, traveling in opposite directions.

2. How does the position of the speaker affect the production of a stationary wave?

The position of the speaker plays a crucial role in producing a stationary wave. The speaker needs to be placed at a specific distance from the tube to create a standing wave. If the speaker is placed too close or too far, the wave will not form.

3. What is the ideal position of the speaker to produce a stationary wave?

The ideal position of the speaker to produce a stationary wave is at one end of the tube. This is because the reflected wave from the closed end of the tube interferes with the original wave, creating a standing wave.

4. Can the position of the speaker be changed to produce different types of stationary waves?

Yes, the position of the speaker can be changed to produce different types of stationary waves. For example, if the speaker is placed at the center of the tube, it will produce a half-wavelength standing wave. Placing the speaker at a quarter of the tube's length will create a quarter-wavelength standing wave.

5. What other factors can affect the production of a stationary wave?

Apart from the position of the speaker, other factors that can affect the production of a stationary wave include the frequency and amplitude of the waves, the length and diameter of the tube, and the properties of the medium through which the wave is traveling.