Position-time graph/velocity graph help

In summary: Im still trying to get my head around this In summary, Marleycake found the Velocity-Time Graph and Position-Time Graph useful. He has questions about how to graph the data, where to start on the graphs, and calculating air resistance.
Marleycake

Homework Statement

Hi, I just started my kinetics course a few days ago and have a few questions about how to graph this and maybe help me out with some of the equations involved, I'm completely new to this and I got this test sheet a few days ago. thanks a lot guys
http://orig11.deviantart.net/afb9/f/2016/080/f/b/help_me_solve_these_people_and_i_ll_give_you_donat_by_marleycake-d9vydtd.png

How do I graph this for the Position-Time Graph and my Velocity-Time Graph

for Position-Time Graph Do I start from the top of the graph (because it represents a free falling object) and make my curve or do I start from the bottom upward ?

Homework Equations

my sheet also says

2. According to your position-time graph what type of motion did the object undergo?. this would be Instantaneous Velocity correct? or maybe I should put Constant Acceleration?

4. construct a V-T graph using your data. Draw the line of best fit. calculate the slope of the line. what doe the slope represent? Wouldn't their be more than one line, also the slope represents avrg velocity correct?
5. If accelerating is supposed to be 9.8 m/s2 [down], determine the percentage error of your value.
% of error ={(measured value ? accepted value)/accepted value] x 100.
could this be due to air resistance acting upon the falling object? also how would i go about calculating air resistance into my equation

6. State possible errors caused in your measured values. what techniques could be used to correct it? maybe incorrect calculations? so a calculator ?
7. Use your V-T graph, and determine the maximum displacement of the object, does this match the height from which the object falls.
I would say yes because if I'm correct my textbook says displacement is a vector and position is a scaler, the only direction the object goes is downward, so they would match? but how would I show that in my work

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Marleycake, :welcome:

Here at PF we encourage initiative. Such as googling e.g. "position-time graph of a free falling object". Top of the list helps you on your way ! Further help is on the way when you post your first graph.

googling "position-time graph" gets you another useful link in the same site.

PS I like the exercise composers sense of humour. But what a waste of a nice bugatti ! Did they crash the Corvette too, or whas that moving horizontally ?

Ok so here are my graphs, is this correct way to graph them based on the picture, am I calculating the instantaneous velocity correcting, is my tangent line not correctly placed, also I've been searching on YouTube (& Google has helped but it kept showing examples of non free fall graphs on how to calculate the instantaneous velocity so I was a bit confused and off putting but I hope I did this correctly also still confused regarding the other questions but will proceed to Google them the best descriptive way I know how
physics__kinetics__position_time_graph__free_fall_by_marleycake-d9vzdyj.jpg

here is the Velocity-Time Graph

velocity_time__graph__of_a_falling_object_at_ff_by_marleycake-d9vzef4.jpg

Also thank you BvU for your encouragement

just realized my velocity time graph had to start downward too :( so i'll fix that ..another question is on the y axes should i put m/s/s considering its at a downward freefall? sorry for the billions of questions

1. What is a position-time graph?

A position-time graph, also known as a distance-time graph, is a visual representation of an object's position or distance from a fixed point over a period of time. The horizontal axis represents time while the vertical axis represents position or distance.

2. How do you interpret a position-time graph?

The slope of a position-time graph represents the object's velocity, with a positive slope indicating a constant positive velocity and a negative slope indicating a constant negative velocity. The steeper the slope, the greater the velocity. The distance traveled can also be calculated by finding the area under the curve on the graph.

3. What is the difference between a position-time graph and a velocity graph?

A position-time graph shows an object's position or distance from a fixed point over time, while a velocity graph shows an object's velocity or speed at different points in time. The slope of a velocity graph represents the object's acceleration, with a positive slope indicating a constant positive acceleration and a negative slope indicating a constant negative acceleration.

4. How do you find the average velocity from a position-time graph?

The average velocity can be found by calculating the slope of the line connecting two points on the position-time graph. This can be done by dividing the change in position (vertical axis) by the change in time (horizontal axis) between the two points.

5. What can a position-time graph tell us about an object's motion?

A position-time graph can tell us about an object's velocity, acceleration, and distance traveled over a period of time. It can also show if the object is moving at a constant or changing velocity, and in which direction it is moving. By analyzing the shape of the graph, we can determine if the object is moving with uniform motion (constant velocity) or non-uniform motion (changing velocity).