Positioning Device Based On Thermal Expansion

In summary, the problem involves moving a small radioactive source at a constant speed using a positioning device based on thermal expansion. The solution involves differentiating the linear thermal expansion equation with respect to time and substituting the known values, ensuring the correct value is used for the constant.
CallMeShady

Homework Statement

In an experiment, a small radioactive source must be moved at extremely slow speeds. A positioning device based on thermal expansion was devised where the radioactive source is attached to one end of an aluminum rod and a heating coil is wrapped around a selection of the rod as shown in the picture below. The rod is fixed on the other end. If the effectively heated section is 5.0cm, at what constant rate do you need to change the temperature of the rod so that the source moves at a constant speed of 50nm/s?

xd5eet.jpg

Homework Equations

ΔL = αL0ΔT (linear thermal expansion)

If a body has length L0 at temperature T0, then its length L at a temperature T = T0 + ΔT is:
L = L0 + ΔL = L0 + αL0ΔT = L0(1 + αΔT)

αAluminum = 23 × 10-6/°C

The Attempt at a Solution

This is a very difficult question due to the fact that we're not given many variables to substitute into an equation. In addition, I have to manipulate the equation so I can introduce "rate" into the equation (length/time). Lastly, we're not given any temperature values either.
That is why I don't really comprehend where and how to start this question. My attempt at the solution so far was brainstorming and analyzing the question but I don't know how to move on. The slightest help with this question will be of great use.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
CallMeShady said:

Homework Equations

ΔL = αL0ΔT (linear thermal expansion)
Differentiate both sides of this wrt time. Show your working...

NascentOxygen said:
Differentiate both sides of this wrt time. Show your working...

Thank you NascentOxygen; however, I managed to solve this problem yesterday night after doing some critical thinking.

You are correct. What I needed to do was differentiate both sides with respect to time and then simply plug in the known values after converting the "length units" to meters (or any other unit as long as all length units are the same and consistent).

For anyone who has a similar problem, the differentiated equation looks like this:
dΔL/dt = α(L0)(dΔT/dt)

Make sure that your constant, α, is correct/accurate. I have a few friends who accidentally substituted the wrong value for the constant; hence, getting the wrong answer. Not sure how making this mistake is common, but it does occur.

1. What is a positioning device based on thermal expansion?

A positioning device based on thermal expansion is a device that uses the principle of thermal expansion to accurately control and adjust the position of an object. This is achieved by using materials that expand or contract when exposed to heat, causing the device to move or change shape.

2. How does a positioning device based on thermal expansion work?

A positioning device based on thermal expansion works by using a temperature-controlled heating element to heat up a certain material, causing it to expand. This expansion is then used to control the position of the device and the object it is holding. When the temperature is lowered, the material contracts and the device returns to its original position.

3. What are the advantages of using a positioning device based on thermal expansion?

One of the main advantages of using a positioning device based on thermal expansion is its high precision and accuracy. Since the movement of the device is controlled by temperature, it can achieve very small and precise movements. Additionally, it is a simple and cost-effective solution compared to other positioning methods.

4. What are the potential applications of a positioning device based on thermal expansion?

A positioning device based on thermal expansion has a wide range of potential applications in various industries, such as manufacturing, robotics, and medical devices. It can be used for precise positioning and alignment of components, as well as for motion control in automated systems.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges in using a positioning device based on thermal expansion?

One limitation of using a positioning device based on thermal expansion is its sensitivity to external factors such as temperature changes and vibrations. This can affect the accuracy of the device and may require additional measures to be taken to ensure stable and consistent performance. Additionally, the materials used in the device must have a high coefficient of thermal expansion to be effective, which may limit its use in certain applications.