Positive Sequence Resistance and Reactance calculation

In summary, the conversation discusses the parameters of maximum three phase fault current and phase angle, and the goal of calculating the positive sequence resistance and reactance for a symmetric system. The speaker is unable to find a formula using only the given parameters, but notes that someone in their workplace has used the formula R = A * COS ( PI()*B/180 ) and X = A * SIN ( PI()*B/180 ) for this purpose. The speaker then shares their opinion on calculating the impedance and provides equations for calculating R and X using voltage. They also mention the need to convert degrees to radians for the formula to be accurate.
asela115
Hi,

I have following two parameters with me

a) Maximum three phase fault current in amperes (A) and phase angle in degrees (B).

I want to calculate the positive sequence resistance (R) and reactance (X) from above two variables for a symmetric system. I couldn't figure out a way to find R and X values using just these two parameters. However I noted somebody has calculated them using following formula for same purpose (unfortunately couldn’t verify who did this in my workplace).

R = A * COS ( PI()*B/180 ) X = A * SIN ( PI()*B/180 ) where A is the three phase fault current and B is the phase angle

If someone can assist me to figure out the correct formula and the relation above, please

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
In my opinion, if you intend to calculate the impedance in ohm-not in p.u.-then you’ll need the voltage.

A=V/(R+Xi)=V(R-Xi)/(R^2+X^2) then:

Iactiv=V*R/(R^2+X^2) Ireact=-V*X/(R^2+X^2) TAN(B)=Ireact/Iact=-X/R

A=SQRT(Iactiv^2+ Ireact^2)

A=V*SQRT(R^2+X^2)/(R^2+X^2)=V/SQRT(R^2+X^2)

X=TAN(B)*R

Then:

A=V/R/SQRT(1+TAN(B)^2) and from here:

R=V/(A*SQRT(1+TAN(B)^2)

(1+TAN(B)^2)=1+SIN^2(B)/COS^2(B)=1/COS^2(B)

R=V/A*COS(B) X=V/A*SIN(B)

B has to be radians then if B it is done in degrees then B[rad]=pi()/180*B[degrees].

What is positive sequence resistance and reactance?

Positive sequence resistance and reactance are parameters used in electrical engineering to describe the impedance of a three-phase power system in a balanced state. They represent the combined effects of the resistance and reactance of each phase in a three-phase system, and are used to calculate the total impedance of the system.

Why is it important to calculate positive sequence resistance and reactance?

Calculating positive sequence resistance and reactance is important because it allows engineers to determine the overall impedance of a three-phase power system. This information is crucial for designing and troubleshooting electrical systems, as it can help identify potential issues and ensure the system operates efficiently and safely.

How are positive sequence resistance and reactance calculated?

Positive sequence resistance and reactance are typically calculated using mathematical equations based on the physical properties of the system. These equations take into account factors such as wire size, length, and material to determine the resistance and reactance of each phase. The values for each phase are then combined to calculate the total positive sequence resistance and reactance of the system.

What factors can affect the calculation of positive sequence resistance and reactance?

There are several factors that can affect the calculation of positive sequence resistance and reactance. These include the type of material used for the conductors, temperature, frequency, and the presence of any parallel or series connections in the system. It is important to take these factors into account when performing calculations to ensure accurate results.

How do positive sequence resistance and reactance differ from negative and zero sequence values?

Positive sequence resistance and reactance differ from negative and zero sequence values in that they represent the impedance of a balanced three-phase system. Negative and zero sequence values, on the other hand, represent the impedance of an unbalanced three-phase system. In other words, positive sequence values account for the combined effects of all three phases, while negative and zero sequence values only consider one or two phases at a time.