Trend of resistance & reactance values in fault signal

In summary: Welcome to PF.In summary, the author is trying to do TDR (time domain reflectometry) to find the impedance in the signals before and after a fault. He has managed to get peak current and peak voltage values correctly, but the trend of resistance and reactance values is bothering him. For starters, can someone confirm the above algorithm to calculate Ipeak, Vpeak, R and X for "before fault" (input is filtered V and I signals) and "after fault" (unfiltered V and I raw
userminerva
Hi,
What I have been trying to achieve is learn about signal processing ,particularly filters. Newbie to DSP,so far!
I have 2 signals with me.Voltage and current signals. Both are unfiltered. I have managed to filter out these two signals to remove most of the noise. Now,I want to find the impedance in the signals before the fault occurs and after the fault occurs. This is the algorithm that I have used (Link to the image has been attached)

http://s1284.photobucket.com/user/sandycook9211/media/Screenshot101_zpse9cf445d.png.html

While I have managed to get peak current and peak voltage values correctly,(I verified by finding maxima of data signals) the trend of resistance and reactance values is bothering me.

For starters, can someone confirm the above algorithm to calculte Ipeak,Vpeak,R and X for "before fault" (input is filtered V and I signals) and "after fault" (unfiltered V and I raw signals) ? My data window is 60 and I run through 60 samples for each iteration. Ie,1st iteration from 1 to 61st, 2nd iteration ,from 2 to 62nd etc until I traverse the entire data.

Moreover, I just assumed "before fault" to mean filtered signal and "after fault" to mean unfiltered input signal. Is this correct?

Any help will be appreciated,thanks in advance!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

I see no attachment. Here is some stock advice.

To attach a file, when posting “Quick Reply”, or an “Edit” of a recent post, click “Go Advanced”,
then scroll down to “Additional Options”, “Attach Files”, click “Manage Attachments”.
Click “Browse”, select your file, then click “Upload”. Wait till done, then “Close this window”.
“Preview Post” and you will see your file attached.

userminerva said:
Hi,
What I have been trying to achieve is learn about signal processing ,particularly filters. Newbie to DSP,so far!
I have 2 signals with me.Voltage and current signals. Both are unfiltered. I have managed to filter out these two signals to remove most of the noise. Now,I want to find the impedance in the signals before the fault occurs and after the fault occurs. This is the algorithm that I have used (Link to the image has been attached)

http://s1284.photobucket.com/user/sandycook9211/media/Screenshot101_zpse9cf445d.png.html

While I have managed to get peak current and peak voltage values correctly,(I verified by finding maxima of data signals) the trend of resistance and reactance values is bothering me.

For starters, can someone confirm the above algorithm to calculte Ipeak,Vpeak,R and X for "before fault" (input is filtered V and I signals) and "after fault" (unfiltered V and I raw signals) ? My data window is 60 and I run through 60 samples for each iteration. Ie,1st iteration from 1 to 61st, 2nd iteration ,from 2 to 62nd etc until I traverse the entire data.

Moreover, I just assumed "before fault" to mean filtered signal and "after fault" to mean unfiltered input signal. Is this correct?

Any help will be appreciated,thanks in advance!

It appears you are doing TDR (time domain reflectometry). If so this might answer your question; if not, simply ignore this.

For TDR the voltages vs. time are proportional to reflection coefficient vs. distance. Reflection coefficient is related to effective resistance and reactance of the line at distance (effective because the lumped model isn't strictly valid in transmission lines). This is based on transmission line theory and RF.

The before fault and after fault are simply points in time in the time series if this is TDR. A fault will cause a numerical discontinuity in the voltage/reflection coefficient, because the resistance/reactance is discontinuous at a fault - transmission lines (cables) are required/intended to be constant characteristic impedance but faults change that impedance at the fault.

Some of the best references for TDR are published by Agilent/Keysight:

http://literature.cdn.keysight.com/litweb/pdf/5966-4855E.pdf

1. What are resistance and reactance values in fault signals?

Resistance and reactance values in fault signals are measures of the opposition to the flow of electrical current in a circuit. Resistance is the measure of how much a material resists the flow of electricity, while reactance is the measure of how much a circuit resists changes in current or voltage.

2. How do resistance and reactance values change in fault signals?

In fault signals, resistance and reactance values can change due to various factors such as the type and severity of the fault, the location of the fault in the circuit, and the type of material the circuit is made of. Generally, resistance values increase and reactance values decrease in fault signals.

3. Why is it important to monitor the trend of resistance and reactance values in fault signals?

Monitoring the trend of resistance and reactance values in fault signals is important because it can provide valuable information about the health of a circuit. Sudden and significant changes in these values can indicate the presence of a fault, which can help in the early detection and prevention of potential electrical hazards.

4. How are resistance and reactance values measured in fault signals?

Resistance and reactance values in fault signals are typically measured using specialized equipment such as digital multimeters or power quality analyzers. These devices can provide accurate and precise measurements of these values, which can then be analyzed to determine the condition of the circuit.

5. Can resistance and reactance values in fault signals be used to predict future faults?

While resistance and reactance values in fault signals can provide important information about the current condition of a circuit, they cannot be used to predict future faults with certainty. These values can change due to various factors, and their trend should be monitored regularly to identify potential issues and prevent future faults.