Possible Answer to ECE Finals Questions

• Thread starter KillaChaos
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ece Finals
In summary: It applies.Problem is a bit tricky and I feel for the trap.Since there is a ground reference at the negative terminal and a current sink there, Vo has to supply the 2mA current through the 5k resistor to the current source ().Negative feedback ensures that the negative terminal tracks the positive and since the negative terminal is virtual gound so is the positive terminal.In order to ensure Vo stays at 10V the opamp supplies \frac{10V}{5k} + \frac{10V}{10k} = 3mA ( By KCL).
KillaChaos
I just took my final exam in Introduction to Electrical and Computer Engineering. I could go on describing how horrible/well it went, but a certain question has caused major disagreement.

We had to solve Io (the current leaving the Op Amp) and Vo (the voltage at the output of the op amp)

[PLAIN]http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/4702/probleme.gif

Theres a lot of disagreement on Io, whether its 0 or not (I say no because KCL), and Vo (On the exam I said 0, but after a lot of arguing I think its 30 (if you remove the op amp, then do source transformation you come across this)).

I need some confirmation because I don't have another final till friday.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
KillaChaos said:
I just took my final exam in Introduction to Electrical and Computer Engineering. I could go on describing how horrible/well it went, but a certain question has caused major disagreement.

We had to solve Io (the current leaving the Op Amp) and Vo (the voltage at the output of the op amp)

[PLAIN]http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/4702/probleme.gif

Theres a lot of disagreement on Io, whether its 0 or not (I say no because KCL), and Vo (On the exam I said 0, but after a lot of arguing I think its 30 (if you remove the op amp, then do source transformation you come across this)).

I need some confirmation because I don't have another final till friday.

Thanks

Please show us the equation that you should use to find Io. And what is the value of the current sink shown on the left?

Last edited by a moderator:
berkeman said:
Please show us the equation that you should use to find Io. And what is the value of the current sink shown on the left?

The value is 2 milliAmps. For equation to Find Io, I guess you would use a KCL.

KillaChaos said:
The value is 2 milliAmps. For equation to Find Io, I guess you would use a KCL.

Yep. Show us.

berkeman said:
Yep. Show us.

Okay, it isn't so much as an equation, as it just reasoning it out.

In class we were told to assume the current entering either terminal of the op amp had to be zero. That means 2 milliamps HAS to be going through the 5k and 10k resistors.

Now if any current enters or leaves the Io, that means that current has to go somewhere else, but there is no where else for the current to go. So Io, must be 0.

The current has to be zero. If the circuit has negative feedback the negative ternimal tracks the positive terminal. Hence, the negative and positive terminal are virtual ground.

Vo/5k = Vo/10k

Thus, Vo=0.

╔(σ_σ)╝ said:
The current has to be zero. If the circuit has negative feedback the negative ternimal tracks the positive terminal. Hence, the negative and positive terminal are virtual ground.

Vo/5k = Vo/10k

Thus, Vo=0.

I don't see any ground reference shown in the circuit. How can you assign a value to Vo? (Oh, and don't post answers, remember?)

I assumed there is supposed to be a ground reference otherwise Vo can taken on "any" value. Regardless, writing down node equations at the output reveals that Io is 0.

There is a ground on the negative terminal. Its written in the problem. Vo is 10V and Io is 3mA according to the solutions. Could someone explain why KCL seemingly doesn't apply here?

KillaChaos said:
There is a ground on the negative terminal. Its written in the problem. Vo is 10V and Io is 3mA according to the solutions. Could someone explain why KCL seemingly doesn't apply here?

It applies.

Problem is a bit tricky and I feel for the trap.

Since there is a ground reference at the negative terminal and a current sink there, Vo has to supply the 2mA current through the 5k resistor to the current source ( KCL ).

Negative feedback ensures that the negative terminal tracks the positive and since the negative terminal is virtual gound so is the positive terminal.

In order to ensure Vo stays at 10V the opamp supplies [itex] \frac{10V}{5k} + \frac{10V}{10k} = 3mA [/itex] ( By KCL).

1. What is the best way to prepare for ECE finals?

The best way to prepare for ECE finals is to review class notes, study from the textbook, and work through practice problems. It is also helpful to form study groups with classmates and attend review sessions with the professor or teaching assistant.

2. How can I improve my problem-solving skills for ECE finals?

To improve your problem-solving skills for ECE finals, it is important to practice solving a variety of problems, including those from past exams. It can also be beneficial to break down complex problems into smaller, more manageable steps and to seek help from professors or tutors when needed.

3. Are there any specific topics or concepts that are commonly tested on ECE finals?

While every professor may have different exam content, some common topics and concepts that are frequently tested on ECE finals include circuit analysis, digital logic, signals and systems, and electromagnetics. It is important to review all material covered in the course to be well-prepared for the exam.

4. How should I manage my time during the ECE finals?

It is important to manage your time wisely during ECE finals. Make sure to allocate enough time to study for each exam, and prioritize your studying based on the difficulty of the material or your own strengths and weaknesses. It can also be helpful to create a study schedule and stick to it.

5. What can I do if I feel overwhelmed or stressed during ECE finals?

If you feel overwhelmed or stressed during ECE finals, it is important to take breaks, get enough rest, and practice self-care. Remember to stay hydrated and eat well, and don't be afraid to reach out to peers, professors, or counselors for support. It can also be helpful to break up your studying into smaller, more manageable chunks to avoid burnout.