Possible Causes of Slow Response from PF and Solutions for Users and Staff

• Complaint
  • Thread starter JohnT89
  • Start date
In summary, the user experienced problems connecting to the forum, had similar problems in the past, and is not sure if it is related to the forum or to their computer. The user believes that the problem may be due to a scheduled PF "server function."
JohnT89
I am trying to connect from Italy, Reggio Calabria, from an ADSL2+.

I can open PF readily, but the page loads only from the title to the 'My Physics forum' bar: everything under this bar is gray, and my status bar says:
"Connecting to tag.contextweb.com"

Opening the forum sections, the user profiles and the threads (actually, almost every link on the site), takes a very long time (ten minutes maybe), sometimes the page remains almost blank.

Tracerouting PF shows no anomalies.
The problems is relatively new, I was able to browse PF without problems before.
The problem is only related to PF and my network works fine.

Not sure if the problem is related to me or to PF, but I tought it would be helpful for the staff to know.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I sometimes have problems which are very alike this ones. And it's always on sundays (probably because of chat...).
What works for me is using the webbrowser Opera and switching on Opera Turbo. That's usually OK for me...

Greg is doing a little work on the site right now. Maybe that has something to do with it.

It was slow for me this morning.

the problem seem to be disappeared by now, thank you

I noticed a few hangups this morning. Please keep this thread updated with your experiences.

Been on since about 6:00pm this evening in the US; Montana.
No problems at all on my end. Everything seems quite snappy.
Just for info...

Greg,

I just experienced about a 5 minute period where I was getting Firefox time-out errors before finally getting to this thread. It happen at around 1.35am CST.

I checked to make sure I didn't have any checks, etc running that might have slowed my PC down; nothing except normal system and Firefox.

I'm not usually on at this time of the night so it could have been a normal PF server thing going on.

Anyway. Just trying to keep you informed

Edit: Things are fine now. I suspect a scheduled PF "server function" was what I was experiencing.

Last edited:
dlgoff said:
Greg,

I just experienced about a 5 minute period where I was getting Firefox time-out errors before finally getting to this thread. It happen at around 1.35am CST.

Edit: Things are fine now. I suspect a scheduled PF "server function" was what I was experiencing.

Yup, you'll hit it every time. 1:30am CST is backup.

Scared the crap out of me. Wish I'd had more beer. I would have been in bed.

From now on if I'm up at this time, I'll know better.

Thanks Greg

PF is working fine, 11:30 GMT

For what its worth: whenever a PF page has been partially but not fully loaded in my end, Chrome pretty much always say "waiting for tag.contextweb.com" in the bottom. At one time when waiting for this address took 10 sec or more on pretty much every PF page, I started to play around to see if I could filter out that address with AdBlock, but without luck.

Filip Larsen said:
For what its worth: whenever a PF page has been partially but not fully loaded in my end, Chrome pretty much always say "waiting for tag.contextweb.com" in the bottom. At one time when waiting for this address took 10 sec or more on pretty much every PF page, I started to play around to see if I could filter out that address with AdBlock, but without luck.

I experience the same thing when the problem occurs, its like tag.contextweb.com is the weak ring of the chain.

I http://www.google.com/search?client=ubuntu&channel=fs&q=tag.contextweb.com&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8" tag.contextweb.com and found that PF is certainly not the only server having problems with contextweb.

I don't think you can filter it with adblock as it is probably (saw that while skimming the google results) a tracking cookie server.

Last edited by a moderator:
JohnT89 said:
I don't think you can filter it with adblock as it is probably (saw that while skimming the google results) a tracking cookie server.

Contextweb serves some of our banner ads.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Contextweb serves some of our banner ads.

oh ok, so don't use AdBlock at all if you love PF :D

PF is slow tonight, judging from the messages I see it is not PF server, but RSS feeds again.

Borek said:
PF is slow tonight, judging from the messages I see it is not PF server, but RSS feeds again.

RSS feeds?

I have sent an email to contextweb about the slow calls.

Greg Bernhardt said:
RSS feeds?.

You must have seen it - MagpieRSS fails which triggers large series of error messages.

There was also a local call (that is, my computer waiting for some external server, other than PF, to complete page rendering). It wasn't google-analytics, something else, but I don't remember what.

Borek said:
You must have seen it - MagpieRSS fails which triggers large series of error messages.

It's an error, I believe happens when you try to view a thread exactly when the RSS updates. I can look at updating it less frequent, but this should not affect speed.

Seeing as we're bringing up errors, I keep getting something along the lines of "Headers Failed to Load" every 20 or so threads I view.

The logo of PF appears with the navigation bar, errors above the logo and errors below the bar. Page doesn't load.

I'll write down the specifics later.

jarednjames said:
Seeing as we're bringing up errors, I keep getting something along the lines of "Headers Failed to Load" every 20 or so threads I view.

The logo of PF appears with the navigation bar, errors above the logo and errors below the bar. Page doesn't load.

I'll write down the specifics later.

Yeah that is the RSS/Cookies problem.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Yeah that is the RSS/Cookies problem.

Ah right.

I'd ignored so far because I thought it was a browser issue on my computer.

please let me know if anyone has problems with "waiting for tags.contextweb.com"

I just pinged from the server and there were no latency issues.

What is the reason for slow to no response from PF?

There can be various reasons for slow to no response from PF. It could be due to network connectivity issues, server overload, or bugs in the code. It is important to troubleshoot and identify the specific cause in order to address the issue.

How can I improve the response time of PF?

To improve the response time of PF, you can try optimizing the code, reducing the amount of data being processed, or upgrading to a faster server. It is also important to regularly monitor and analyze the performance of PF to identify any potential bottlenecks.

What can I do if PF is not responding at all?

If PF is not responding at all, you can try restarting the application or server. If the issue persists, it could be a more serious problem such as a corrupted database or a critical error in the code. In such cases, it is best to seek assistance from a technical expert.

Are there any specific settings that can improve the response time of PF?

Yes, there are certain settings that can improve the response time of PF. For example, enabling caching, optimizing database queries, and using a content delivery network (CDN) can significantly improve the performance of PF.

How can I prevent slow to no response issues from happening in the future?

To prevent slow to no response issues from happening in the future, it is important to regularly maintain and update PF. Regularly monitoring and optimizing the code, as well as ensuring proper server and network configurations can also help prevent such issues from occurring.